Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2 nice Beech trees in my area

Posted by poaky1 6 Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 23:16

They aren't champions or anything but, they are pretty large and probably took a while to get as big as they are. The first 2 pics are the same tree, a regular native beech I assume. I see slime flux on it. Beech at  Mt. Macrina Beech, Beech at Community center off Main st Uniontown1bfb1178.jpg" target="_blank">Beech pic #2 Mt. Macrina The next is purple leaved when in leaf it's less than a mile from the other tree from Mt. Macrina. Somehow the pics are in the wrong order. The Middle tree is the Burgundy leaved one, the top and bottom picture is the same tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2 nice Beech trees in my area

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 4, 13 at 23:55

Look like Fagus sylvatica to me. A purple-leaved one definitely would be.

o

i hope you remember to snap a shot of the purple one in leaf ... someday ...

thx for the post.. and the pix..

ken

o

I wonder what would happen if you planted that species in the woods? Like in Pennsylvania....would it be able to compete with other species? Would it grow tall and straight like other forest trees?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here