Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
littlelizzy123

Need help picking a tree

littlelizzy123
10 years ago

Hello all!

I am trying to pick out a tree for my fairly arid CO yard. We are attempting to screen out a rather unsightly apartment building that is behind our house, but not screen off the beautiful view of Pikes Peak. For that to happen, it needs to be 15-20 ft tall. It would have access to moderate water, as the lawn would be watered regularly.

I am choosing between an Autumn Brilliance Serviceberry, a Crimson Cloud Hawthorn, or a Prairie Fire Crabapple. We like the idea of spring flowers and fruit. Which would you choose?

Comments (5)

• gardener365
    10 years ago

Before I even got to your 2nd paragraph I was thinking Autumn Brilliance serviceberry. They're delicious....... I share my (2) with the birds.

Dax

• treebarb Z5 Denver
    10 years ago

I like the idea of a serviceberry with viburnum shrubs. You didn't say how wide the area is.

I pm'd you with some local nurseries with a good selection, but re-reading your post I think you are further south and might not want to make the drive north.

Happy planting!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

do understand ... that lawn watering will NOT be sufficient for a newly planted tree during the first two years ...

proper watering would involve deep watering thru the whole mass planted ... and then near drying before doing it again ... with a nice mulch cover ... see link for a discussion of all the variables of PROPER PLANTING ...

a call to your COUNTY extension office.. might get you a list of plants that will do well in your COUNTY/STATE ... this would be a good list to start a discussion on ... for other options ... you sometimes have to be weary of suggestions on the WWW ... as they may not be specific to your area ...

and i know this for a fact.. since barb has killed a lot of stuff in CO .. lol ... right barb ... probably what she said in the private message... lol .. whats that all about.. shy????

since you will be adding pix for your other post.. why not show us this area ...

good luck

ken

ps: kill that maple ... lol

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• ricksample
    10 years ago

I'm not sure which one I would choose as I don't have any experience with serviceberry & hawthorn. I do have experience with the Prairie Fire Crabapple. I would stay far away from this one and almost any crabapples for that matter. I took one of my prairie fire crabapples out last year and replaced it with a spruce. My other prairie fire stands in the front yard looking uglier every year.... it'll probably go in the future.

Don't get me wrong, for about 4-5 days in the spring when it blooms, it looks like it's on fire compared to everything else. Absolutely nothing can compete with it during these 4-5 days. But for the other 360 days of the year, it looks bad. After the flowers fall off and the leaves appear, from the street it still looks leafless. The leaves are so small and spaced so far apart, it just doesn't look like it has any leaves... you only can really see the branches. Under close observation, the leaves themselves are a nasty burgundy/green looking color.

• littlelizzy123
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys!

Here's a picture of where it will be living. Don't mind the mess, the yard was a worse mess when we got here...

I have only a little bit of experience with trees, but I do know you have to water them really well at first while they are getting established, and here in Colorado Springs, in the winter too, as our snow pack doesn't stick around for more than a day or two. :) The master gardener at our extension office was super helpful. She gave me a whole list of lovelies to pick from that would work in my area and altitude, and these three were my favorites.

I am leaning away from the crabapple after ricksample's comment. I would want something with enough leaves to block the view of the janky apartments. I am torn between the hawthorne and it's incredible pink flowers, or the service berry with it's beautiful fall color. What's a girl to do?!
    I know, take out the ugly pine tree on the right and plant them both!!!! I might have to fight my husband about that though. He has an attachment to the toady thing, for reasons I can't understand...