Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frost damaged Jacaranda

Posted by marlajms Arizona (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 07 at 23:34

Hi there,

I have a 14 year old Jacaranda tree that was damaged pretty badly when we had the bad freeze in January. All of the leaves turned really brown. Does anyone know how to nurse it back to health? How would pruning affect it?

Thanks so much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frost damaged Jacaranda

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 2, 07 at 23:46

Leave it be.

Don't prune until after new growth is well-developed. Then you'll know which parts are dead and should be removed.

o

It's been a few months now since my Jacaranda got frost bitten. The branches fell off (along with the leaves). The plant is about 8 feet high and is now sprouting new growth from the base (about 3 feet high bush). Nothing on top. Should I trim the top off to the hieght of the bush or still leave it be.

o

I would trim off the top to the height of the new growth - try to cut at a slight angle, so any water runs off, but cut such that the lowest edge is no more nor less than about a quarter to a half inch above the highest new shoot's origin on the trunk. The new shoots will probably be a bit brittle, so be careful of them as you cut.

Later in the summer, you can either leave 2-3 of the new shoots to grow, or take off all but the strongest - it depends on if you want a single-trunked or a multi-trunked tree. Be aware that you may get new growth from the attachment points of the cut off shoots for a few years - rub them off as soon as you notice them.

Depending on how well the new shoots grow, you may or may not get flowers in the next spring, but should by the following one.

o

My main trunk died with the frost and now the branches have re-grown to about six feet tall. It looks more like a bush than a tree. Should I trim the lower branches and thin out the now 6 possible main trunks that have formed? If I should, when should I do this?
Please advise.

o
Wraping

Also, should I wrap the tree this winter to prevent more frost damage until it is more mature?
S.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 8, 07 at 23:19

A you have found out, jacarandas don't like frosts. If there's another killer winter while you are still gardening there then you will be left with a sprouting stump (or less) again. Maybe time to move on to some other kind of tree, one that isn't tropical. Otherwise, leave it until next year, think about selecting a replacement trunk at that time. If you have to baby it with something like covering it up to get through this next winter, then maybe it's time to move on to...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here