Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you identify this tree?

Posted by jack.sprat 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 0:39

This is a volunteer that showed up in my yard. Can anyone tell me what it is and whether I should transplant it or send it to the heap? We live in the San Joaquin Valley if that helps.
Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you identify this tree?

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 0:44

Quercus palustris?

o

Maybe... But I wonder if the cut isn't deep enough to be pin oak. Also, the acorns I find elsewhere in the yard are at least twice as long as they are wide, whereas Google says pin oak acorns are basically square.

If it helps, I think the jays might be bringing seeds from a strip mall down the road where there are dozens of mature specimens. And those had a terrible aphid problem last fall...

What oak species are grown commercially for central CA?

o

i was told.. that many oaks.. if not all ... do not put out proper mature leaf form until some certain age .. and though i dont recall that age ... it has to be much older than yours ...

that is to say... guessing will get you close ... but certainty is for the future ..

also ... they play with each others gene.. cross pollinate ... and that also can mess with ID ...

that said.. i am sure its an oak ... and i know nothing else... lol

ken

o

Something in the red/black oak group. As ken indicated, 'juvenile' leaves on seedlings often don't have the typical appearance of mature specimens of the species.

Q.kelloggi, perhaps, in your area? ( I don't know beans about that part of the world)

o

I'd be surprised if Q. palustris would regenerate naturally in your climate.

Probably one of the CA natives, like Q. kelloggi.

o

It looks very much like a pin oak.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here