Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jqpublic_gw

Dawn Redwood Leader Pruning

jqpublic
10 years ago

Hi,
So, I planted a dawn redwood in my parents' yard two falls ago. The tiptop of the tree reached a height of about 3-4' this winter and was shaped like a trident (if you cut the prongs off halfway). This spring its put on about 6" of growth, but the two outer prongs seem to be more robust than the central leader. Should I snip the side branches off to encourage the central leader, thereabouts making a more uniform leader or will it not matter in the long run. If I do prune it, what time of year should i do so?

I know y'all love pics, but I'd have to travel back to the parents' house to get a good pic next weekend. I hope this crudely drawn pic helps explain my dilemma. Of course the pic is not to scale, but if you notice, the side branches are growing straight up instead of more horizontally. This in turn is starting to shade out the central leader sprig.

{{gwi:338539}}

Comments (16)

• wisconsitom
    10 years ago

JQ, I would head back those two competing leaders, to a side bud or small branchlet. At least in going by your pic, it does appear that apical dominance has been lost somehow on this tree.

Anyone with more DR experience....perhaps you have another take?

+oM

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

its a conifer.. but a tree is a tree ...

it doesnt matter what kind..

subordinate the competitors ...

hard to go much further without a real picture ...

just do it ...do NOT go waiting for a pic.. then running home.. posting.. then not being able to get back until fall.. etc..

JUST DO IT

ken

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

My metasequoia has always grown out of this and I dunno if I ever saw one with dual leaders at MOBOT, Tower Grove, Seacrest...the one in Cincy (Rowe?), Denver Botannical or Dawes.

So after they grow taller than you can prune I wouldnt worry much.

Now I know you (and I) would be just better served by picking a winner because I can't see it hurting that fast a growing tree.

• arktrees
    10 years ago

IMHO, prune it and don't look back.

My female counterpart significant other bought an Ogon over the weekend to replace another tree. The top several inches HAD competing leaders.... but it doesn't anymore. ;-)

Arktrees

• cubicmile
    10 years ago

They accept pruning very very well. Remove the other leaders.

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all!

Guess who's cleaning their bypass shears in anticipation for this weekend? THIS GUY!

I'll still snap a pic to show the before and after ... but anything you say in response to said pics will not hurt my feelings one bit.

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey...crisis averted. Looks like nature took care of things and the brown branch on the right of my drawing twisted its way vertically and is very much the main stem now. No pruning needed after-all.

{{gwi:338540}}

{{gwi:338541}}

• arktrees
    10 years ago

Excellent. Good to know these are so good at sorting themselves out like that. Our just planted Ogon that I had pruned to a single leader, was de-leadered by a bird, and is doing much the same.

Thanks for the update,
    Arktrees.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

Mine looks like it might go multiple-leader each yr, but somehow sorts it out. Same with pond and bald cypresses.

Many are over 20' tall now (DR is 30'), so not anything I can practically do anyway....

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The 'ogon' I planted in my yard is such a pain. The 'ogon' on the other hand is so floppy i have to stake and train the tree like a vine. I hope it'll add to it's girth more this year. I don't wan tot have to stake it for 4-5yrs! It truly looks like a side-branch that was stuck in the ground.

At least the species at my parents' house seems to have a more upright/stout habit. They were both planted the same year and are both about the same heigh, but a completely different form/structure.

10 years ago

My Ogon had the same branch like structure for a year or so. Now it looks like a tree, a thin one but still a tree.

It holds its top up straight enough but it seemed weakly rooted so I used this three pronged side lasso method to "stake" it. Right now, going into year three I think, I have bent the stakes so far towards the tree I don't know if they provide any support. Next windstorm we get now its leafed out I will check and see if there is any reason not to remove them.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

you know what the moral of this story is....'

there is really never any hurry to deal with a tree ...

think about it.. watch it ... but you can always come back later and take care of it ...

but you cant staple them back on.. if you make a bad decision ...

and really .. 90% of the time.. the tree can take care of itself .... my only goal.. BESIDES DAMAGE REPAIR ... is lifting the canopy high enough that i can walk under them.. w/o having my hat or glasses knocked off ....

there is no tree ... that can not.. sort itself out.. and re-establish a leader ...

ken

• jqpublic
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I just wanted to share how much it changed on its own in two seasons with no leader intervention by myself. Just unreal the growth I got.

8 years ago

Wow. That one is growing up up up. Thanks for the update.

• Steve Gall
    8 years ago

I'm looking forward to seeing if my dawn redwood matches that type of growth two years from now.