Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flexwebber

red maple (swamp maple)

flexwebber
10 years ago

Anyone had any luck planting Red Maples? Anything I should look out for as far as disease and such. I'll be planting them pretty much on the edge of a swamp.

Thanks

Brian

Comments (5)

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

I find them an easy transplant. For reliable fall color you will need a named cultivar. The spring flowers seem pretty universal though.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

They're the most common native tree in North America. While not completely problem-free, there aren't any major pest or disease issues.

Verticillium wilt is an occasional problem, but only seems to affect already-stressed trees. Hasn't been a major problem for me.

There is also a leaf-spot fungus (little black dots on the leaves) but it rarely gets bad enough to be a major problem, usually just a minor cosmetic issue.

I'd go with a named cultivar known for fall color, but the swamp location is good - that's their natural habitat, really.

The only thing to watch for is alkaline soil - they really need an acidic soil (or neutral worst-case) which in NJ should not be a problem, your soils in NJ (most of the east coast, really) are acidic and the red maple will thrive on that.

Good cultivars:

'October Glory' - excellent fall color, usually a deep scarlet, sometimes an almost luminescent red. Turns very late, usually after the first of November here, despite the name. Tends to have darker green summer foliage than most, and a bit more tall than wide from what I see.

'Red Sunset' - also a good red, but here in MD tends towards having a bit more orange in the red, rather than the straight-red of October Glory. Color change is somewhat earlier, by about a week or two than OG. Seems to be more rounded and not quite as tall as OG.

Other good ones are Brandywine, Somerset, Autumn Flame (earliest color, usually early Oct here).

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Flexwebber, how many are you thinking bout planting btw? Reason I ask is I prefer not to create a monoculture. In the case of the named cultivar clones that much of the exact same tree unsettles me. Also there is no need to tempt fate and plant 100 trees only to find the hypothetical Asian longhaired maple borer has been brought over on some Kia's or whatever.

Look up the gateway arch grounds and what happened to their monoculture of ash trees.

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

On a swamp edge, you could throw in some Red Maples, but also the following trees for some variety:

Quercus nuttallii (AKA Q. texana) - Nuttall Oak
    Quercus bicolor - Swamp White Oak
    Quercux michauxii - Swamp Chestnut Oak (don't put the crown of this or Q. bicolor IN the water, but the roots can be wet)

Taxodium distichum - Baldcypress
    Taxodium ascendens - Swamp Cypress
    Taxodium 'Nanjing Beauty'

Metasequoia glyptostroboides - Dawn Redwood

Nyssa sylvatica as long as it's far enough away to not actually be submerged - also Nyssa aquatica

• flexwebber
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info. I only plan on planting about 3 or so. I've looked into other types of trees for swamp areas and most of them get too large. I do like the look of the Baldcypress though.