Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdashali_gw

Save a mature plum tree

mdashali
10 years ago

Hello All,
I have been reading all the great discussion for the past few weeks and this is my first post.

I bought a house last April that came with a mature Plum tree. It gave amazing number of fruits last year. I got the tree pruned in January which I thought was the right time. A few weeks ago I started noticing bark split and ants running around the branches. I have also noticed a bump with brown goo. I am not sure how long this has been happening as I am new to gardening. I was under the assumption that old mature tree doesn't require much care. I have been reading about it and looks like the tree might have bacterial cankers. I emailed Santa Clara county master gardener and they said that the tree might be dying. I am very sad that I may loose the tree due to my neglect. It is the highlight of our backyard. I am trying to get an Arborist come by and take a look but I am not having much luck.

Can any of the expert here provide any help? Do you think there is a chance the tree can be saved?

I have some pictures of the entire tree and problem areas at: https://plus.google.com/photos/113051870581645897520/albums/6001646307727206897?authkey=CLegyenC4tjbew

Thanks.

Comments (5)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

here's your link made active

Here is a link that might be useful: your link

• Huggorm
    10 years ago

That goo is how plum trees react when stressed, it is probably becuase of the pruning. It might get better when the tree recover from the loss of foliage. Pruning of plum trees should be kept to a minimum, but pruning companies wont tell you that becuase they want to work and make money.

• mdashali
    Original Author
    10 years ago

jean001a: Thanks for making the link active :)

Huggorm: Thanks for the encouraging message for my morning. Yeah, I wish the pruning companies actually prune to keep the Tree healthy as opposed to make only money. That said, what can I do about the bark split and the borers? A person in local nursery said that I should seal the bark split.

Early in the spring, before the late California rain kicked in, I purchased Kellogg Fruit tree fertilizer and spread it around the trunk area. Should I be doing anything more to get enough nutrients for the tree to get healthy?

About the goo, should I be doing anything - cut and remove it or cover it with pruning sealer or something?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I'm not sure I'd take it personally :-)) Plum trees do have a somewhat limited life expectancy and yours is a very mature specimen. I would say it is getting close to its end and I seriously doubt its decline is anything to do with your "neglect".

The 'goo' is gummosis, a common affliction of many trees in the Prunus genus and symptomatic of a range of problems, one of which is bacterial canker. There is really nothing to do at this point but attempt to maintain the tree in as good health as you can manage. No need to apply anything to the bark split - that has been there for some time - and no need to remove the goo .Additional fertilizing unnecessary. Just periodic deep watering as required in your dry times.

The tree could continue on for a number of years before removal is necessary. Take some time now to determine what you'd like to replace it with.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if it performed spectacularly last summer..

what possessed you to think it needed food ..???

all these years with nothing.. and bammo.. you think its a hungry child ...

trees are not children.. they dont need to be fed.. nor clothed.. nor educated ...

that said.. a LITTLE of this or that.. wont matter...

but between that.. and the pruning.. you are on the verge of loving this thing to death..

most trees.. survive.. on benign neglect.. and its usually us.. that screw them up ...

the only thing they ever need.. is water after transplant ... period ...

good luck

ken