Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mlle_melanie

Mystery Tree

mlle_melanie
10 years ago

Help! I feel like I'm going crazy. I'm trying to identify a tree only from my memory! I'm not as familiar with common tree names as I am with garden plants. I've always admired this tree around the New Orleans area, but never knew what it was. I've been searching the net but going from memory-only makes it tough, and I haven't found it yet. There used to be 2 or 3 of them on the next block over, but new homeowners cut them down a few years ago. It's probably around 30' tall, and it has a very uniform, oval canopy growth shape. The branches all seem to grow upwards. It always looks pruned into a perfect tree shape, but I assumed it grew that way since they always look like that whenever I see them. I remember the leaves being a light green heart-shape (similar to an aspen leaf) that sunlight filters through nicely, and they seem to "dance" and kind of flash whenever the slightest wind blows through. And the leaves are plentiful; not exactly dense, but almost dense, and each one is maybe like 3" across. I don't really remember the bark, but I think it's probably grayish-brown and on the smooth side. The wind makes such a pretty sound blowing through the leaves. I remember the tree having a single straight trunk, but it's possible it's just usually pruned that way. Forgive me if none of this makes much sense, but I'm not up to speed on proper tree-terminology! Some possible candidates I've found online are catalpa tree (but I don't remember the long bean pods), some kind of linden tree, or a hornbeam tree. None of them seem quite right. I don't remember if the leaves dropped in the winter or not. Oddly, I feel like they didn't, though it didn't look like your typical evergreen tree. But I could be remembering wrong. Anyway, I thought it would be a pretty easy task, and boy was I wrong! If anyone out there in GardenWeb land thinks they know what tree this might be, please respond! I will be forever grateful. In the meantime, I'm going to look for a physical specimen next time I'm driving around. Then I can actually post a pic. Wish me luck!

Comments (6)