Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poaky1

Can. Hemlock substitute for shade

poaky1
12 years ago

I have had bad luck with Canadian Hemlock in my yard. I know about the Wooly Adelgid that has afflicted lots of them. I have never seen them on any of the hemlock I've planted. Usually I plant a nice green hemlock and before too long ( couple weeks) I have an anemic yellow hemlock that never grows and looses every needle and croaks. My soil is just a tad bit acidic, pretty close to neutral, around 6.7. Rhodies and azaleas like it fine. Peeps on the soil forum have had success on more alkaline soil than I have. I am afraid to do too much tinkering with my soil and make all the other things in it off kilter. So anyhoo, I need a suggestion of either something to try with soil that isn't too dramatic. I want to get iron and try it but there was no shortage of it in my last soil test. And finally, is there another type of Hemlock that has no disease problems and would be a good substitute. I think there is a Carolina Hemlock and a west coast native hemlock. I want to put it in an area that will be shaded as my oaks grow bigger. Maybe by then they'll have solved the adelgid thing!

Comments (9)

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm sorry. I have already found the answer to this question. I will pass on what I've read though. The western Hemlock isn't killed by the edelgid, but may be a host. I am trusting that the 2 Tsuga Heterophylla I just ordered from Forest farm will be disease free. I found many articles that say the Western Hemlock aren't affected as the Carolina and Canadian Hemlock. My past Hemlocks never had visible adelgid before they died either, but that's one potential problem that I don't have to worry about.

• User
    12 years ago

I am interested in reading the responses to your posting as I am confused about the whole edelgid situation. I have an island planting of what I assume to be Eastern/Canadian Hemlock. They were planted by prior owners and I do nothing for them. A few years ago I removed the lower branches and thinned the strand some to increase light and air circulation in the grouping then underplanted with shade tolerant plants (Skimmia japonica, Pieris, and ferns). I may see a branch or two with some edelgid and I'll just hose them off with water. I know there are pesticides but I hate using those as there are bird nests in the trees. Anyway, the trees look great and the pests never seem to really gain in number. The only thing I may do this year is water as it's dry.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

with all your tree background.. i am surprised you are asking these questions here.. rather than in the conifer forum ...

but wherever makes you happy is fine with me

ken

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    12 years ago

Njoasis, what works very well on wooly adelgid is horticultural oil. It's a very purified oil that smothers insects when it is sprayed on them, and harmless to anything with lungs. Highly recommended for control of any sucking insect. I use it for scale on my bay trees, which in my house are a food.

Poaky, IIRC, there are tricks to establishing hemlocks. I've seen several neighbors go through exactly what you are talking about. They plant these nice looking plants, and a few weeks later they are dying. If nobody pipes up here, you may want to ask in the Conifer forum. It's not something I've paid attention to because I HATE hemlocks.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Check out mountain hemlock...they are much more interesting (and blue) but like some sun.

Hemlocks are sticklers for well drained soil and consistent moisture.

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I didn't even think of the conifer forum. Alot of forums don't have alot of "traffic" on them but the conifer forum probably has. I always come to this forum out of habit unless it's a question on Palms and cycads. The Western Hemlock I ordered is supposed to not succumb to the edelgid and decline. It's Tsuga Heterophylla. The native hemlock is supposed to grow here and is growing in a yard about 2 miles from me, but doesn't like my yard apparently. The western hemlock soil preference is " any well drained soil unless really limy". It is supposed to have less surface roots than the eastern native Tsuga Canadensis. I ordered 2 of the western hemlock and a couple other plants I didn't really need but wanted.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Sweet, thanks for the suggestions!

• poaky1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Njoasis, I have tried Pieris before, I almost bought another small $6.99 Lowes Pieris the other day, it had a weird but nice smell, but I know it's gonna croak. I may try adding some peat moss to the soil for organic matter and acidity. The weird thing is that Rhodies are fine in my yard and I thought liked the same soil conditions as hemlock and pieris. Whaas, I checked out mountain but the western looks more like the one native to my area and that's the look I am after.

• whaas_5a
    12 years ago

Oops, I was in the wrong post.

Since I'm here again, there is a pic of one that I have. Its been planted since. The pics online aren't very good or representative.

{{gwi:338775}}