Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this flowering cherry?

Posted by dash_2006 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 2:43

What is this profusely blooming tree ? I think it Is a kind of cherry tree by the way the blooms hang. Does it produce cherry fruits? I did not notice any fruits on the tree last year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this flowering cherry?

Prunus padus, aka Bird Cherry, is what that would be here. Prunus serotina has similar flowers but I don't know it well enough to id. Both produce fruit but they are not much use for human eating.

o

floral_uk,

Thank you for identifying it as Prunus padus. After comparing the pictures on the net, definitely it is padus rather than serotina. I will have to tell everybody not to eat the fruits. But the tree is so pretty this time of the year!

o

The fruit isn't poisonous but I doubt anyone would try more than a couple. They are small and sour but have been used as food in some places at some times.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bird cherry fruit

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 13:04

The one that looks like Prunus padus is P. virginiana.

o

bboy - I'm glad you chipped in because I don't know N American species. Do you think the OP's tree is P virginiana? Or isn't there enough info. to say?

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 16:33

Looking at the flowers I'd be inclined to call it P. padus. But the two are thought so similar some would have them be a single species.

One of the ways to tell them apart is supposed to be by the surface of the pits (smooth vs. grooved or sculpted).

I think part of any possible widespread confusion may be due to the fact that P. padus is naturalized in North America. People misidentifying naturalized P. padus as P. virginiana may have eventually created an impression of inscrutably close similarity that is not actual.

While P. serotina is related it has definite morphological distinctiveness that should make it easy to keep it separate.

o

bboy,

if Prunus virginiana is the tree commonly called choke cherry, we have lots of them here in CO. They are like weeds. Although the choke cherry has a similar flowers, it is not as showy as this one pictured. The choke cherry I am familiar with has less flowers in the tree and somewhat leggy statue with significant berries. I understand, P. virginiana may have different variations as well.

So, I 'll have to check the pit later. Which one has smooth pit?

o

Yes - either padus or virginiana, I have trouble telling them apart as well.

P. serotina is notably different - for one thing, it blooms about a month later than the other two from what I recall. Also, the leaves are less "cherrylike" than most cherry species, longer and thinner, almost more like a peach leaf. Wheras P. padus and P. virginiana have a leaf that is more or less a "typical" cherry leaf.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here