Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about young maple tree

Posted by neptune24 GA, 8A (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 9, 12 at 3:10

I have a 4-foot maple tree that I planted at the end of November. It's definitely alive, and has some small buds on it, but is being extremely slow to open up those buds. Most of the other trees/plants in the area leafed out a good while ago. Is that anything to be concerned about?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about young maple tree

I'd say that your tree is in trouble. I'd evaluate the site first, in order to determine that the soil and drainage are suitable for healthy plants. Then I'd go over the planting and post planting procedures. Of course, we'd like to know if this is a container grown tree or field grown, and any other information you might have.

o

Wait till June. If it isn't fully leafed, it's a gonner.

Dax

o

rhizo_1, I actually planted another maple tree in the same place last June, and it looked great for about a month and a half, but then died. Since we had a very hot summer, that might have been the reason. Anyway, maybe I shouldn't have used the same location, but I didn't have a lot of choices. There are a lot of pine trees nearby, and they've been doing fine for years, so hopefully the soil and drainage are at least adequate. I got the tree from a nursery and planted it into the ground right away in Nov. Thanks for the info--I'll just give it a little more time.

gardener365, OK, thanks, I can wait till June. I have a feeling that it will be okay, but I just don't quite understand why it's being so slow.

o

trees should be planted dormant [no leaves] .. in the proper planting season .. for wherever you are ... ah.. GA ...

as an e.g. ... in my MI .. trees are planted.. naked [the trees not me] .. about right now ... 6 to 8 to 10 weeks.. before the heat of summer hits ... giving them time to grow some roots.. to be able to move water.. when the real heat hits ... and in the meantime.. w/o leaves.. they dont suffer as badly ....

so .. planting in june .. in GA .. was a bit late ... and it doesnt surprise me.. that it gave up the ghost ...

good luck with the other

ken

o

Thanks, Ken. I'm glad you don't plant your trees while naked. ;)

Yes, this time my maple tree has had a lot more time to adjust, so hopefully it will be fine.

o

i would not be a pretty site.. lol ...

timing is everything.. with success .. when dealing with trees ...

good luck

ken

o

Thanks, Ken.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here