Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fmart322

Tree transplant question

fmart322
11 years ago

I have a 7' tulip poplar that my neighbor doesn't want in his yard. He planted it 2 summers ago and since changed his mind on it. he asked me if I wanted it. The trunk is maybe an inch thick.

My question is is it a hard move to do? Will the roots already be established to much to pose problem?

I would only be moving it about thirty feet from it's current location where it seems to like it.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

i would NOT bother.. if it is already leafed out ...

we would prefer to not have to rescue the leaves already there ... so would favor doing it while dormant..

if you have no other option.. and you dont mind the exercise ... go for it.. but that is a big tree.. with lots of leaves.. and it will not be fail proof ...

ken

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    11 years ago

I love tulip trees.

Also I would take a shot at it. Biggest thing going for you is it is a transplant not a field grown tree so maybe the roots have not re established.

Ken is right, you are pushing the envelope with planting time. I believe while dormant means 99% success with proper methods and follow up. Now I dunno, I bet still around 90%, 80%(?) but make sure you check the moisture level near the roots all summer! Just be quick. Time is against ya.

Oh, and I would love pictures of the roots "two years after planting" and to know if it was in burlap or a pot or what.

• fifthzim
    11 years ago

I wouldn't hesitate to transplant it at all. Make any pruning cuts (up to 25% of leaf area) that would be needed in the next year to reduce transpiration rate during transplant, then go for it!

I'd also recommend transplanting toward evening. Give the tree the benefit of 8+ hours of cooler weather so the roots can soak up the water you give it after relocating it. Then, give it another good drink in the morning before the sun hits.

Being a poplar, you're likely to see some leaf drop no matter how great of a job you do in transplanting. Don't fret too much, just keep it moist.

Good Luck!

• wisconsitom
    11 years ago

"Tulip poplar" is no poplar at all. That's just another example of the confusion caused by common names. Also, I would recommend against pruning of any amount at transplant. We've covered this one numerous times before.......but anyway, each leaf is a food factory for the tree. It needs all the food (photosynthate, carbohydrates) it can get. Finally, each branch tip sends growth hormones to the root system, initiating root growth. The last thing you want to do with an already sketchy transplant is diminish that.

+oM

• fmart322
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info. It hasn't leafed out yet. It's close, but it's still just buds.
    when I get some free with wifi time I'll post more. Thanks again.

• fmart322
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey everyone, since the tree didn't leaf out I went ahead and transplanted into my yard. It went smoothly. The roots were growing well, in my opinion. None of them were wrapped around the root ball.

I'm sorry I didn't take picture, I was pressed for time because I also had to mulch the yard.

Thanks everyone for the advice and the support.

• fmart322
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just to let you know, that tulip poplar is doing great. It leafed out nicely and grew about a foot so far. Thanks again.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    11 years ago

Wow, that's a lot of growth for such a short time with a newly transplanted specimen! Congratulations on your success.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

IMHO.. the worst time is just coming up.. with the heat of july and august ..

INSURE that it does NOT dry out.. w/o drowning it ...

all that said.. CONGRATS!!!!

oh.. and water late into fall ... too many peeps blow out the irrigation.. or put the hoses away in october... and basically let the garden dry out until winter... not good with a large tree transplant ... it wont need much.. with cold days and colder nights.. but give it a drink in mid to late nov.. after testing with your finger..

ken

• franktank232
    11 years ago

I would only do it if a rainy period is in the forecast...maybe a big trough sets in and its cloud and rain showers the next few days... Other then that, you may end up killing it... Odds of success are probably going to be low if its hot and dry and windy and sunny... Get as much root as you can...i'd wait until winter.

• famartin
    11 years ago

lol franktank, probably would've been good if you had read the whole thread ;)

If you have a dry October, then definitely keep watering into November or whenever rains return. However, if the soil is pretty wet at the end of October, its unlikely to dry out much in November in New Jersey.

• fmart322
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, thanks again guys.

That bad heat we had last week got to the tree some. About a quarter of the leaves went and dried up on it. The 1st day of the bad heat wave I went to check it and noticed it. The soil, under the mulch, about 6" down was dry. I gave it a good drink, then about 5 gallons every night till yesterday because I knew we were getting heavy rains.
    This wouldn't of happened if I didn't start a new job (I work in construction, starting and stopping happens all the time).

• fmart322
    Original Author
    10 years ago

It just started leafing out. It looks great so far. I expect it to take off this year.

Any advice you can give to help it along?

Thanks.

• Tn_Tree_Man
    10 years ago

Leave it a lone and watch it grow this growing season.
    Post some pictures in a few weeks when is in full flush.

In the Fall, post another picture for suggestions on potential form pruning if necessary.

• fmart322
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good, that's what I was thinking too. It really grew quite a bit last year, close to 3 feet. It has a very nice form.

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

They're so fast planted as little seedlings that I wouldn't take on the labor of transplanting. JMHO.

• fmart322
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow. This tree must love me and where it's planted because its close to 15' now and full with a very nice form.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource