Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparkers30

Bonsai Tree (Zelkova/Jap.Elm) - Wilting

Sparkers30
11 years ago

Hi, I wondered if someone knew a bit about bonsai growing, as I think my new plant is on the way out.

Only had it a week.

Told to spray it, which I had not because it would get the desk wet. But I have been spraying a fair dose of water to get the soil moist throughout.

It did have white flowers but these disappeared quickly.
(Although some were already browning when I bought it).

It has been on my desk at work - so no direct sunlight.

I put it on the windowsill on Wednesday morning, came back on Friday morning and it has wilted (when it was fine before).

Soil was hard and dry on top. I have given it a lot of water, so the soil is pretty...wet at present with some water having run out the bottom of the pot.

Not sure whether the watering regime is wrong or not. I have been worried about watering it when the soil on top is dry because I wondered whether the soil below could be moist.

Can I save the plant? Should I put it back in the sunlight? How important is spraying of the leaves? Could the pot be too small for the plant?

The office environment isn't particularly bright most days. The air is dry.

(Just writing everything down to give a better idea.)

Comments (6)

• Huggorm
    11 years ago

That doesn't look like zelkova or japanese elm, are you sure it isn't some kind of fig?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

is there any drainage in that pot??

trees prefer a sip of water.. and then pretty dry.. please stop watering it.. if you think humjidity is an issuel.. get a tray under it.. with some rocks.. and pool some water under its pot ....

where are you.. and did it get an cold damage carrying it around outside ...

with 35 odd years of gardening and house plant experience.. the one thing i refuse to mess with.. is bonsai ... its simply too hard .... its a tree.. indoors [where trees dont live].. in a pot that doesnt drain.. in less than optimal light for a tree .... crikey ....

you sound like you are a newbie .. and frankly.. I SUSPECT .... you are starting on the VERY HARD end of the spectrum ...

its not that it cant be done.. there are a lot of books an online sources for such..

but the problem.. for me anyway.. is the very thin line of tolerance for anything other than a perfect environment ...

good luck

ken

ps: i just killed one.. that MIL gave me for xmas .... and the guilt sux ....

• Sparkers30
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your help. Yes, the pot does drain. I know from watering it that water came out of the bottom.

I have just popped back into work to see it and it looks much better than it did yesterday. Slightly wilted but nothing like yesterday. Either the watering was much needed or it got scorched.
    The soil looked very dry on top and I soaked it through and it may have got a blast from the sun, which I thought was ok, but apparently isn't.

I thought bonsai would be easy. I thought it was the art of it that was the tricky thing.

• Sparkers30
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It did say Zelkova on the note I received with it. Hmm. Not sure now.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

I strongly suggest that you re-post in the Bonsai Forum. Bonsai culture is pretty specific.

I believe that your plant is Ehretia buxifolia, called Fukien Tea. It's a very common bonsai specimen, especially for indoor culture. Not an ideal office plant....it needs more specialized care than you think.

Ken, bonsai container always have large drainage holes. Being able to water frequently and copiously is a key to success. I grew bonsai for around 30 years...it's not hard, it's different, that's for sure. People that succeed at it really, really want to grow them. :-)

I had a friend who was the manager of a big hunting preserve on one of the old plantation properties in coastal SC. He used to wrestle 'gators as a 'hobby' and when questioned about his motives (sanity), he just said, "It's easy....you just have to really, really want to wrestle an alligator."

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Sat, Apr 27, 13 at 8:47

• Sparkers30
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, I see, a lot of dedication then. Thanks for your help.