Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else get really cold this past week?

Posted by whaas 5a SE WI (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 7:03

It was only one day but did anywhere else get really cold earlier this week?

Several locations in WI set record lows on Tuesday, including here where it hit 16 degrees.

Curious how far that cold ventured out and if it caused any issues with blooms/foliage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else get really cold this past week?

It got to 28 here overnight. The weather said possible rain/snow in the morning which didn't happen and then about 1:00 pm there were medium-"speed" flurries that melted as they hit the ground. It was 40 though I think that day. Anyway that went on for three hours or so.

I have cold-climate firs beginning to break bud (lasiocarpa)..... saucer mag's are 9/10's blooming, hydrangeas began blooming at least seven days ago; Manchurian viburnum is in leaf and flower brackets are "rising up" as is V. carlesii; dentatum is expanding; 10 days ago Amalanchier began opening as did Sorbus alnifolia. Pinus parvilfora is in situ with Abies lasiocarpa but a few beats behind. Lots of fruit trees have been breaking bud the past week. Perennials are popping up everywhere. My neighbor has sedums 2-3" up I noticed yesterday.

Dax
mid-Mercer County, IL

o

Severe damage down here, whaas. Most heavily damaged were fringe tree, blackgum, paw paw, redbud, and smoketree which are black and extra crispy. Some early Oaks, ash, and hickories also had substantial damage.

Dax reminded me. Here is my abies firma :-(

This post was edited by j0nd03 on Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 7:30

o

it hit 22 the other morning.. nothing yet had broken dormancy ... so i dont anticipate any damage ... related to such

ken

o

The pawpaw, blackgum, and redbuds (and other deciduous trees) should releaf, I would think...but that fir, do you think it can recover?

o

I am currently visiting family in Madison, Wi, so I experienced the same cold as you did along with a coating of snow Wednesday morning. It traveled east and dumped a few inches of snow in both Cleveland where my mom lives and in NH which is home. In NH we do get mid-April snow every few years, and while this was not record-setting cold for us, it is much colder than average for this time of year. New England in general got two or three nights of well below freezing weather, like 26 degrees in central MA.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 19, 14 at 9:52

23F two mornings. No problem as the cold has been consistent. Larch has flowers, but those are very cold-resistant.

The problem here are the frosts in mid-May like last yr. Only the toughest plants (or latest like southern mag) are not damaged by those.

o

Here's a thread on the perennials forum that lists several areas with cold temps, some of which are unusual.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on perennials forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here