Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Star Magnolia Hasn't Grown

Posted by larissa.i 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 8:12

I planted a Star Magnolia in Spring 2010. It is about 4' tall. It bloomed Summer '10 and '11, but then didn't bloom Summer '12. It hasn't grown since I planted it, but it's still alive. I followed all the instructions when I planted it, and I mulch it every year (but not too much). It is in a 'wet' part of the yard, so I don't know if drainage has something to do with it. Should I fertilize it? If so, when? I have always been afraid to put any chemicals on/around it for fear of killing it. Any advice will be much appreciated. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Star Magnolia Hasn't Grown

last spring ... there was a very hot spell in march.. followed by severe cold in april and most of may.. i lost a vast majority of flowers on the spring shrubs ....

they should be back this year ...

i am in Adrian MI [just over the border form toledo ... ... nearly due north of you.. a bit west .. its been a very cold spring.. nothing has even started to bud out ...

do NOTHING.. for a few weeks.. and lets see what happens ...

i planted mine 10 years ago.. and have never done anything to mine.. i n the way of fert ... i doubt that is your solution ...

it is not a big/fast mag .. i think .. mine is barely 5 feet tall ... after 10 years ... if its not dead.. it must have grown last year ...

patience ...

ken

o

Thank you, Ken!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 0:55

What were the instructions?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here