Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dwarf weeping willow?

Posted by lisa2004 NY Z5/6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 8:22

I have a spot in my front yard that isn't always wet, but water accumulates there after a heavy rain. I would love to plant a weeping willow, but it is definately not a spot for something that big. (It would block the view of the house from the road and I'd be worried about the roots under the driveway). I'm wondering if there is a dwarf variety that looks like the full size tree. I tried to google it but didn't come up with anything.
Two years ago I planted a Japanese red maple there but it fried in the sun and then probally drown. Gotta dig it out today. Sad.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dwarf weeping willow?

I'm not aware of a dwarf weeping willow but there you could really make that wet spot an attractive focal point with something like a weeping bald cypress a grouping of dwarf bald cypress.

o
RE: Dwarf weeping willow?2

Little King dwarf river birch could be another choice. Can't believe I forgot that one since there's one right outside my window.

o

Beat me to it! I love bald cypress. Its cousin Dawn Redwood tolerates some wet feet as well. Both are conical shaped trees when open grown.

Another choice is a plain old Acer Rubrum Red Maple which I notice they also call "swamp maple". I have a generic one planted in a low spot in my yard, full sun, its doing well.

Slower growing is Nyssa Sylvatica. They probably call it Black Gum casually, this fella has GREAT fall color and is a pretty polite tree, limited litter, good structure. Long as the soil drains after the rain stops I bet it would do well.

o

I'm wondering if there is a dwarf variety

No.

Agree that baldcypress is a good choice.

Dan

o

I googled both gum tree and bald cypress. Unless I'm reading wrong they both look like large trees. I'm posting this awful picture of the area where the tree is to go. You can see the power lines I need to think about, the size of the area, etc. And if you look closely you can see the little dead Japanese maple that I haven't removed yet. (I was keeping my fingers crossed for it, but am ready to give up).

Photobucket

o

There IS a dwarf weeping willow, but it doesn't look exactly like a full sized tree - Salix caprea 'Pendula'. Bonus with this is that it produces the furry catkins like a pussywillow but has a heavier, coarser leaf texture than the traditional full-size weeping willow. Like all willows, appreciates moist soils. Also, will not produce a very aggressive root system so suitable for planting close to a house - it's petite size makes it a reasonable choice for anywhere in the landscape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Salix caprea 'Pendula' images

o

Gardengal is right on!
That's the very Willow I was going to suggest.

Josh

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 13:07

There is also S. purpurea 'Pendula'. Not as heavy-looking as S. caprea 'Kilmarnock' (there are two cultivars of S. caprea pendula - the far more prevalent and ornamental, male 'Kilmarnock' and the now out of favor female 'Weeping Sally'; plants sold as 'Pendula' are liable to be 'Kilmarnock').

o

Have you considered a weeping pussy willow? Same weeping effect, not so large and the catkins are cute. Oh, supposed to be good luck as well.

o

Ozzy, that's S. caprea.

That plant is rather small and cute, not a screening plant for that spot IMHO. Baldcypress is inappropriate for that spot.

Let's back up: what is the desired height-width of the plant?

Dan

o

Cut a little planting island there and plop a flew Peve minaret baldies along with your dwarf willow. A little fishy pond with foot bridge would look super cool.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 12, 10 at 20:57

I wouldn't put anything like that out by the road, without an effective fence around it.

o

While I love the fish pond with foot bridge idea, I have 2 acres behind the house chock-full of gardens where I could do that. Bboy is correct about not putting something like that near the road... especially with my kids friends comming in and out of the driveway! Might end up with a car in the pond.
Dan, as far as the desired height and width, I guess approx the size of a small Japanese maple since that's what I tried there... or the size of a weeping cherry (have one in the back, want something different by the road). I will continue to look up everyones suggestions. Thanks for all of the input.

o

You'd have to stake it get the true weeping willow effect, but salix repens Boyd's Pendulous is another possibility. Try www.pendulousplants.com or Forest Farm.

o

It's been a dream of mine to have a circular driveway some day. I'd put a fountain there. But if you don't want to do the pond then at least go above and beyond planting one single small bush there. That's my only request. Because it will mean the difference of someone like me not noticing it and noticing it and saying "wow, those folks have some dwarf baldies planted around a weeping willow and a flower bed. That was a nice way to use that space"

o

OK iforgotitson... I promise to do something more than 1 little tree. I'll post a pic if I ever decide. But you have to drive by the next time you are in the neighborhood so that you can compliment me on it! Looking into that salix repens now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here