Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa2004

Dwarf weeping willow?

lisa2004
14 years ago

I have a spot in my front yard that isn't always wet, but water accumulates there after a heavy rain. I would love to plant a weeping willow, but it is definately not a spot for something that big. (It would block the view of the house from the road and I'd be worried about the roots under the driveway). I'm wondering if there is a dwarf variety that looks like the full size tree. I tried to google it but didn't come up with anything.

Two years ago I planted a Japanese red maple there but it fried in the sun and then probally drown. Gotta dig it out today. Sad.

Comments (17)

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

I'm not aware of a dwarf weeping willow but there you could really make that wet spot an attractive focal point with something like a weeping bald cypress a grouping of dwarf bald cypress.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

Little King dwarf river birch could be another choice. Can't believe I forgot that one since there's one right outside my window.

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    14 years ago

Beat me to it! I love bald cypress. Its cousin Dawn Redwood tolerates some wet feet as well. Both are conical shaped trees when open grown.

Another choice is a plain old Acer Rubrum Red Maple which I notice they also call "swamp maple". I have a generic one planted in a low spot in my yard, full sun, its doing well.

Slower growing is Nyssa Sylvatica. They probably call it Black Gum casually, this fella has GREAT fall color and is a pretty polite tree, limited litter, good structure. Long as the soil drains after the rain stops I bet it would do well.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

I'm wondering if there is a dwarf variety

No.

Agree that baldcypress is a good choice.

Dan

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I googled both gum tree and bald cypress. Unless I'm reading wrong they both look like large trees. I'm posting this awful picture of the area where the tree is to go. You can see the power lines I need to think about, the size of the area, etc. And if you look closely you can see the little dead Japanese maple that I haven't removed yet. (I was keeping my fingers crossed for it, but am ready to give up).

{{gwi:339395}}

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Gardengal is right on!
    That's the very Willow I was going to suggest.

Josh

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

There is also S. purpurea 'Pendula'. Not as heavy-looking as S. caprea 'Kilmarnock' (there are two cultivars of S. caprea pendula - the far more prevalent and ornamental, male 'Kilmarnock' and the now out of favor female 'Weeping Sally'; plants sold as 'Pendula' are liable to be 'Kilmarnock').

• ozzysboy
    14 years ago

Have you considered a weeping pussy willow? Same weeping effect, not so large and the catkins are cute. Oh, supposed to be good luck as well.

• Dan _Staley (5b Sunset 2B AHS 7)
    14 years ago

Ozzy, that's S. caprea.

That plant is rather small and cute, not a screening plant for that spot IMHO. Baldcypress is inappropriate for that spot.

Let's back up: what is the desired height-width of the plant?

Dan

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

Cut a little planting island there and plop a flew Peve minaret baldies along with your dwarf willow. A little fishy pond with foot bridge would look super cool.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I wouldn't put anything like that out by the road, without an effective fence around it.

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    14 years ago

While I love the fish pond with foot bridge idea, I have 2 acres behind the house chock-full of gardens where I could do that. Bboy is correct about not putting something like that near the road... especially with my kids friends comming in and out of the driveway! Might end up with a car in the pond.
    Dan, as far as the desired height and width, I guess approx the size of a small Japanese maple since that's what I tried there... or the size of a weeping cherry (have one in the back, want something different by the road). I will continue to look up everyones suggestions. Thanks for all of the input.

• mainegrower
    14 years ago

You'd have to stake it get the true weeping willow effect, but salix repens Boyd's Pendulous is another possibility. Try www.pendulousplants.com or Forest Farm.

• iforgotitsonevermind
    14 years ago

It's been a dream of mine to have a circular driveway some day. I'd put a fountain there. But if you don't want to do the pond then at least go above and beyond planting one single small bush there. That's my only request. Because it will mean the difference of someone like me not noticing it and noticing it and saying "wow, those folks have some dwarf baldies planted around a weeping willow and a flower bed. That was a nice way to use that space"

• lisa2004
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK iforgotitson... I promise to do something more than 1 little tree. I'll post a pic if I ever decide. But you have to drive by the next time you are in the neighborhood so that you can compliment me on it! Looking into that salix repens now.

• mothorchid
    9 years ago

salix caprea pendula. goat willow. I am going to try and grow it as a shade ornamental bonsai. It can grow in partial shade so it says online. It might really make an adorable houseplant. Florists sell it so I assume it's a houseplant. As far as this one goes for bonsai, all the work is done, now all it has to do is grow. The thing already has it's forever pot to sit in and everything, to a price paid of under thirty bucks. So I got an alright deal on the thing, even if leaf reduction doesn't happen. Aesthetically it can go just about anywhere in the place and give it kind of a real subtle fairy garden meets goth look. Some of the grafts nowadays really do make nice indoor trees,and really do better inside. This one, in the photo, is interesting because of the way it's grafted, which given five years, perhaps no one will notice, lol. It is a nice gift, I like it.