Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markasparks

Leyland Cypress Maintenance

MarkASparks
11 years ago

Hello,

I have 24 Leyland Cypress trees in line using them for privacy in the very back of my property.
They are 3 years old, I planted them when they were about 2 feet tall and they are now about 10-12 feet tall. I noticed they have a brown tint to them, like they need something?

They were beautiful in late fall with deep green leaves, we have had more rain this past winter and spring with a lot of cold nights as well during this spring. I noticed this same look the second year and added a slow release fertilizer recommended from the nursery where I purchased them. That is the only fertilization they have received.

After closer inpection I also noticed the two on the very end where they are more exposed to wind are leaning and I can see the root ball separated from the large hole with ammended soil they were planted in. I am going to stake these but don't know what to do about the root ball and soil?

We had some bad freezing rain storms that made the branches look like they were going to break off several times.

I will post pictures if the sun ever comes out later today, what I really need to know is if they need to be fertilized and how to fix the separation of the root ball from the ammended soil on the two at the end of the row?

They are beautiful just don't have that deep dark green tint like in the fall.

Thank You In Advance,

Mark A Sparks

Comments (4)