Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
carpinus caroliniana transplanting

Posted by c2g 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 9:00

I know someone who's clearing wide paths through a woodlot that contains some musclewood trees. I'd love to save a few of these and transplant to a nearby woods I'm involved with. I've read these aren't the best at transplanting. I figure this is an idea time to try with little to loose, but has anyone had success with digging up Carpinus caroliniana of about 10' height? I would be able to get them water at the same frequency as if it was a home transplant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: carpinus caroliniana transplanting

i know nothing i particular in regard to this tree ...

but here is a pic of a DORMANT tree .. prunus serotina.. cherry ..... maybe 6 to 8 footer ... date on the pic .. to give you a flavor of how to do it ... i think you can see what is left of the tap root ...

i would not bother with a giant ball of soil ... presuming you have no heavy equipment ...

and this is a bit large.. but you seem to understand that.. and understand the odds .. etc ..

it seems a lot of work.. but if you are up for the struggle.. knock yourself out ...

good luck

ken

photo BarerootCherry050406003.jpg

o
RE: carpinus caroliniana transplanting

I have moved big ones successfully using a tree spade (well, a contractor did, not me!). They had trunk calipers of about 3-4" and were easily 10' tall and they didn't skip a beat. That was 10 years ago and they are now enormous. I have also dug up seedlings and transplanted them and they did fine, too. My only suggestion is to make sure to do this while they are dormant (although I dug up all of the seedlings when they had leaves).
I think it's worth a try.

Sara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here