Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting under Magnolia Trees???

Posted by theartist z8 La (mcgraw-art@cox.net) on
Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 9:20

Hi all,
I have 2 mature magnolia trees that have 8X8 brick beds under them. What can I plant under them for color, or maybe a nice groundcover that will do OK. I know magnolias DRINK alot. Any help with this is greatly apreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting under Magnolia Trees???

Do your trees a favor and don't plant in the root zone or disturb the roots, including but not limited to piling soil over the roots, against the trunk or building brick borders around the trees then filling them with soil. I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear but this could cause the slow and eventual death of the tree and mature trees cost thousands to remove.

o

Yes. Leave the root zone alone. Not to mention that magnolias are messy.

Dan

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 10:45

Planting small plants (digging small holes) shouldn't significantly affect the tree's roots. Adding a light layer of mulch (2"-4") will actually benefit the tree. Even adding compost in the planting holes you make won't hurt the tree. As Iforgotitsonevermind mentioned, don't pile soil (or mulch) up against the trunk.

I'd google plants for dry shade for more recommendations than you'll ever need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plants for Dry Shade

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 15:01

Are the magnolias deciduous or evergreen? The garden character of these two groups are like day and night. Saucer, star, lily and the many deciduous hybrid magnolias lend themselves to multiple spring color effects like underplanting with sheets of blue-flowered spring bulbs such as bluebells, grape hyacinths and squills. Evergreen magnolias, especially the heavy, shady and messy bull bay (the name says it all) don't have the same flexibility. In fact, in The Complete Shade Gardener G. Schenk says southern magnolia doesn't really belong in home gardens at all, with its deep shade and continuous production of litter all summer.

The 'Little Gem' cultivar, with its small parts is less overbearing than most other forms sold - but is less hardy and prone to break under wet snow.

The fleshy roots of none will appreciate much digging among them. Very small plants like dormant spring bulbs could be carefully inserted among the roots of a long-established deciduous magnolia. I wouldn't attempt to carve out full-sized planting holes unless I found spaces that were without magnolia roots, for some reason.

Definitely don't tear up sections of small roots or cut, scrape or gouge larger ones.

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 16:12

"In fact, in The Complete Shade Gardener, G. Schenk says southern magnolia doesn't really belong in home gardens at all..."

Remind me not to waste any money on Schenk's book. There's something wrong with that dude!

o

IMHO and from experience.

Lily of the Valley do very well under a Magnolia. Been there, done that. Only suggestion I have is to put some kind of sunken border around the area where you want to confine the plant growth. Roots are very shallow, but they do reproduce like rabbits!

Plant pips 1" (2 -3 cm) below soil surface. Roots are shallow.

If you want color variety, there are two very nice versions. White and pink (Lily of the Valley Rosea).

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily of the Valley

o

Yes, I have to disagree with Mr. Schenk .....mine are the BIG Southern Magnolias they are stunners and BELONG in my garden!!!!
Big Deck...would the Lily of the Valley work under these BIG trees??? I love that plant!!

o

Southern Magnolias look best with branching all the way to the ground. You may just want to move the 8x8 bricks and used them to make a separate flower bed somewhere else. They spread a lot and they are very messy in the spring. Mine has a lot of surface roots and its very hard to even grow grass around it. Good luck!

o

would the Lily of the Valley work under these BIG trees?

To repeat oft-repeated above, as long as you don't disturb the roots.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here