Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Japanese Maple or Weeping Texas Redbud?

Posted by functionfirst (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 9:26

We have a circular driveway (new build) with about a 10-12' diameter grassy area in the center for planting. We are in Zone 8, clay-ish soil, and have narrowed our choice down to either a Japanese Maple or a Weeping Texas Redbud. The area gets morning sun (eastern exposure). We don't want the tree to grow more than 10-12' tall. This tree will be the focal point of the entire front yard. Our deciding factor may well be which one looks best longest throughout the year. May I have opinions? I'd love to see pictures, too, if possible. And, we're open to other suggestions for a slow-growing understory tree. I also posted this question in the Japanese Maple thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Japanese Maple or Weeping Texas Redbud?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 12:35

What part of Zone 8? If you are in a hot climate the redbud may do fine in quite a bit of shade, although even in regions where these are native surely the crown is not as dense beneath other trees as it is in the open. Otherwise, both kinds of trees are frequently asked about due to problems with them dying back. And neither likes a damp, heavy soil - if that is what you have. It is possible you need to use something else entirely, such as a weeping crabapple - although if there is a lot of shade this is liable to look thin. And if the shade all comes from one side it will probably lean away from it in time.

o

can you link us to the JM forum post

thx

ken

o

We are in the coastal area (inner banks) of NC. There is shade (wetlands) on both sides of the property, and this tree would be about 100-125' from each side. We're not living there yet so don't know too much about the soil. From what I've seen, though, after a very heavy rain, water does seem to sit in parts of the driveway area where the soil has been packed down due to large truck tires.

Ken I'm sorry I don't know how to link you to the JM forum post since I'm very low-tech.

o

Here's the post on the Maples forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: OP's post to the Maple forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here