Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Western River Birch tree

Posted by kristie73 z5 Co Springs (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 9:26

I've decided on a Western River Birch multi trunk tree (Betula occidentalis). I have a space in my side yard that I've tried two different spruce trees and they both died. :(. I think the spot gets too wet or maybe I've planted too deep. My side yard is all river rock. It's a spot close to the front yard that gets sprinkler water in the lawn and I think that front yard lawn water is keeping the side yard spot saturated. So I like the multi stem look, that it may go nicely with the baby blue spruce and Alberta spruces planted nearby. Since this spot seems moist from nearby lawn watering despite not having any drip lines there I think this birch will be good. But since I've had two trees die, I'm anxious for something to grow quickly and I don't want this one to die. Any tips?
I attacked a photo. It's the space on the right about the center of the open space. The other side of the back fence is the front lawn.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Western River Birch tree

are you calling the picea pungens a baby ... or is it a dwarf cultivar ...

see link for planting guide .... lets discuss how you wandered from the suggestions there ...

in the mean time.. what is your base soil.. clay???

how did you plant it ...

potted or ball and burlap ...

is the dry river aesthetic or for a purpose????

etc...

basically.. all you have said.. is that they died.. if you want us to try to figure out why ... then we need more facts ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I think the other trees (Colorado blue spruce and white fir) planted died because of too much water or planted too deep. They were all potted. The baby blue is not dwarf that was the name on the tag. The soil is mostly clay with some sand. The dry river was both aesthetic and there is a slope and a path that water was already running down. It serves a purpose.

o

The Colorado lasted a few years but was small. The Fir only lasted a year and it was small. So they didn't cost much money, but now I'm investing in a 15 gallon River Birch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here