Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Time for Crape Myrtles to Bud/Bloom?

Posted by leafy02 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 19, 09 at 9:33

We have two crape myrtle trees in the back yard of our home, located in central Kentucky. They have shown no signs of life so far this spring--no leaves, nothing. All the other trees and shrubs here have leaves and many are flowering.

We just moved in here mid-winter from another region altogether, so I am not familiar with these trees in this area's climate.

Anyone know if crape myrtles are slow to turn green in the spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Time for Crape Myrtles to Bud/Bloom?

Yes they are. Late to leaf out. In your area you could expect blooms in july/aug depending on the variety. The duration of blooms also depends on the variety.

o

Thank you. I will stop worrying for now. Any idea when they'll get leaves?

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 22, 09 at 16:15

Soon, I've noticed a few starting to wake up around here (Knoxville, TN).

o

Ditto what's been said about them being LATE to leaf out. But they also flower later into the year than most shrubs (July though September) also, their leaves turn a kaleidoscope of colors (yellows, reds, oranges...) in the fall (don't remember if that's October or November for me).

o

They are the last of our trees to open. They open about the same time as Shagbark Hickories and Black Gum (Nyssa sylvatica) trees. Ours just started leafing out 1.5wks ago. Most are still not fully leafed out yet. ALSO, they do not bloom in the spring. They bloom in the early to mid-summer til fall. Continuous beautiful blooms. Remember also not to top these trees. Topping means chopping the ends off of all the branches. It looks horrible no matter what people around you do and it doesn't really promote more flowers. Good luck!

o

Thank you all. I haven't topped them or done anything to them except give them some bunny manure.

o

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 7:19

They like to be mulched also to keep their roots cool in the summer. What jqpublic was talking about is usually called "crape murder" ... a veral take off on crape myrtle. It makes the tree look deformed and extremely ugly.

o
RE: oops

• Posted by jimtnc 7b Raleigh tttf (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 7:22

...make that verbal, not veral.Geeesshhhh!

o

• Posted by leafy02 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 19:55

I looked at them closely today and I could see teeny, tiny buds. So, I guess they really are alive. Good thing I wasn't counting on them for shade!

o

i live in new mexico when can
i expect my crepe mrytle to get it;s leaves

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here