Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petalmom_gw

Is there something wrong with my bradford pear?

petalmom
15 years ago

Hello, new here and would appreciate any input from you seasoned members.

I planted three new bradford pears about 2 months ago. To me they appear to be doing very well until I noticed this week that some of the leaves have turned black on the ends and have shriveled up? It is occuring on all 3. Perhaps this is normal? Can anybody tell me if something may be wrong with them?

I have a couple of pics that I think would help but can't seem to figure out how to post them :(

Comments (17)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

newly transplanted stock does weird things...

were they leafed out at planting... transplant stressors come to mind ...

were they dormant ...??? ... frost or freeze at budding comes to mind ...

any further info about the whole process.. will get better suggestions ...

it probably too early in the season for disease to be an issue .. most are warm weather problems ....

have they been PROPERLY watered.. and properly planted????

ken

• auhort1990
    15 years ago

Could be fireblight. Look to see if the very ends of the branches curl forming a shepherds hook.

• petalmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies! No leaves at planting (completely naked!) I don't "think" they were dormant (but I'm an amateur!) No frost here since they were planted and I water them every evening.

The branches look just fine, it's only some (not all) of the leaves.

If you could guide me on how to post a pic, that might help.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

Sounds like overwatering to me.

• petalmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Overwatering? You think? I generally stick my finger in the ground to see if it's still moist and it never is so I assumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it was ok to water. I should note that the afternoon temps are in the mid to upper 80's and they get direct sun most of the day (and certainly during the hottest part)

You think that I should cut back on watering? How often would you recommend?

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    15 years ago

If you are checking the soil for moisture you are doing it correctly, BUT if it needs water every day, you are probably not watering it enough when you water. The soil (unless it's pure rock or sand) should stay moist for at least a couple of days. Watering deeply, less frequently is much better than watering just a little bit, often.

BTW, Bradfords are almost universally despised in this forum so be prepared if you see posts complaining about them. When I saw the title of your post, I just knew someone was going to respond with "yeah, it germinated". LOL

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    15 years ago

water so that water gets to the roots.. and then do NOT water again until the soil warms.. or is nearly dry ...

with proper mulch. this might be a week or two later ...

if it had no leaves at planting.. it was dormant ...

are you sure that a frost couldnt havent occurred... the lawn does NOT have to be icy.. to get frost on leaves ...

just try not to kill them with too much love.. lol

ken

• petalmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all very much! I'll adjust my watering plan.

I have read the good, bad, and ugly regarding bradfords :) I however think that while in bloom they are absolutely stunning so I'm willing to take the abuse!

Thanks again for everybody's help!

• lou_spicewood_tx
    15 years ago

In 10-20 years, they will fall apart. Is it worth it esp when you need the shade? Surely, there are better choices than bradford. For example, I wanted something like Bradford pear for flowering, nice leaves, and nice fall color but much more durable and long life span so I went with 'Fire Dragon' Shantung maple trees. My neighbors have bradford pears and my shantung maples make bradford pears look not so great...

{{gwi:340438}}

That's SUMMER GROWTH. Not fall color leaves...

Here is the fall color...

{{gwi:340439}}

Best of all, they will still be there when I'm dead.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    15 years ago

Petalmom, send me the images and I'll take a look at them. If it's Fireblight, it should be pretty easy to determine.

• petalmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the offer rhizo, I wish I could but being a newbie I'm afraid that I've not been able to figure out how to do that yet :(

It's really hard to determine the truth about these controversial trees :) There are about 40 of them planted around the building where I work. Granted they are only about 10-12 years old but none of them have exibited all of the negative habits that I read about. And quite frankly, they are absolutely beautiful while in bloom in the spring. I guess that's all that I'm hoping for with mine!

• petalmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahhh, figured it out, used photobucket :)

I've aslo given it more thought (and asked around) and we MAY have had a night or two since these were planted when the temps dipped into the mid to low 30's (but stayed above the 32 degree freezing mark). Could this possibly be damage from the cold?

{{gwi:340440}}

• Fledgeling_
    15 years ago

It might just be cold damage, because I was under the impression that fire blight happens at first to isolated shoots and not all over the tree. Also, this tree is noted for it's resistance to said disease. The tree likely was early leafing out for whatever reason.

• petalmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks fledgeling! So do you think they will recover?

• jqpublic
    15 years ago

They'll recover from disease. But they may fall apart from a 5mph wind gust :(

• Fledgeling_
    15 years ago

Yup, that is very minor on the scale of cold damage. Not only will they recover I think they will be completely unaffected.

• petalmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much! I feel better now :)

Odd comment about the wind. Although the roof of our office building did not, every one of the 40 or so Bradford's came through hurricane Katrina just fine. Must of got lucky I guess.

Thanks again for everybodys help!!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?