Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

Trees for behind fence line?

conniemcghee
9 years ago

Hi tree folks,

Attached is a photo of the area behind our fence line. Our neighbor recently had her yard surveyed, and we ended up with a little more yard than we originally thought. It looks like we have about 10 feet behind the fence (haven't measured yet).

That side of the fence is directly north, so it wouldn't get full sun. I would say it's partial sun - some does come in from the west.

I've come across Nigra and Techny Arborvitae at a local nursery, and I'm wondering which of these would be better. The goal is quick coverage, of course. ;) And to do well in partial shade. They should also not outgrow the property line, which is what's making me shy away from Green Giant.

What's your experience with Nigra and Techny, as compared to Green Giant?

Also, you may have advice on another piece of the puzzle for behind the fence. At the far end there is a grouping of two Box Elders and a Hackberry. Awesome, right? It's going to be $$$ to take them out, so I'm wondering if there is anything I could plant on the other side of the fence, about 5' from their trunks, that would come up and fill the gap underneath them? Of course that's the main place we need some more coverage, and I don't know if anything is going to survive, much less thrive, planted among their roots. I do have an unknown variety of Viburnum on our side of the fence, planted very close to their trunks. It was a year old cutting when I put it there, and unbelievably, it is growing. Maybe I need to put its twin on the other side?

Comments (4)