Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguyzone6a

Can anyone ID this tree? (photos included)

GardenGuyZone6a
12 years ago

Trying to ID this tree... Is it a cedar? Thanks for the help.

{{gwi:27481}}

{{gwi:341149}}

{{gwi:341150}}

Comments (19)

• pineresin
    12 years ago

Can you add a close-up of the foliage? Could be a yew, could be a juniper.

Definitely not a cedar, though.

Resin

• denninmi
    12 years ago

The tree in the photo could be a Juniper, which we call "Cedars" here in the U.S. at times.

We really need a photo that shows a detail of the foliage, and we also need to know where geographically this is located, all of that would help narrow it down.

We call Juniperus virginiana "Eastern Red Cedar" == why we do that is beyond me. We also call Thuja occidentalis "White Cedar" and some Chamaecyparis and Cupressus are also called "Cedars"

It makes life difficult.

I wish we would just call Cedrus "Cedars", call Juniperus "Junipers," call Thuja "Arborvitae" and so forth ...

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    12 years ago

I think that the only juniper that is routinely called 'Cedar' is the Eastern Redcedar, Juniperus virginiana. This plant doesn't really scream Eastern Redcedar to me, but it's pretty difficult to tell for sure, from the images presented. Could be, that's for sure.

You're doing everything BUT showing us the foliage! ;-)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

yeah.. whats the deal with pic 2 and 3 .. of the GRASS.. lol ...

speaking of which.. what did you do under that tree ... other than sow some grass seed... and significant digging ...

a prima facia example.. of planting that cute little one foot conifer.. 20 feet too close to the foundation .. 20 or 30 years ago ...

do you have a poured basement???? or just a foundation ... i wonder what might happen it it tipped over??? .. whats your native soil.. sand/clay/other???

ken

• GardenGuyZone6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys.

I will get a close up of the foliage tonight.

Sorry for the wrong angle, I am trying to spot seed my newly seeded lawn from last fall.

Everyone I talk to says remove the tree...not because its too close to the house, which it is... but because they dont like it.

I think its kinda cool, bending away from the house.

BTW, its a slab foundation and I see no issues with roots.
    House built in 1972 in central CT.

That freak snowstorm we got in Oct with all the icing didnt phase this tree at all!

Would you guys keep it or chop it?

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) or similar. General aspect of foliage and bark is right. Took years to grow but leaning away from house produces sense of tension that is not pleasant.

• drrich2
    12 years ago

"Would you guys keep it or chop it?"

I'd chop it. I concur with bboy; that look of visual tension is not pleasant.

Imagine a Green Giant Arborvitae planted further out in the yard, growing vertically. If you'd like yellowish blaze & a more open habit in something slower growing but a bit more unusual, consider a Golden Hinoki False Cypress.

Those are just 2 suggestions of many possibilities. You could even plant the new tree first, then cut that one down a year or two later.

Richard.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i would chainsaw it before you could reboot your computer to read my answer .... its a piece of carp ...

ever consider getting enabled in the conifer forum.. and doing some landscaping out back????

ken

• ricksample
    12 years ago

I would take it down BEFORE it does damage... after is to late. As the tree gets larger, so does the root system.

• donnaroyston
    12 years ago

Um, look, guys, that tree is the only shade he's got right now. It appears healthy, nicely branched, and doesn't seem urgent to take it out. And it is interesting looking. No need to get offensive or jerky. The first photo doesn't show the top of the tree, to get an idea about whether it curves to point upward or whether it just leans straight out. If it's the latter, that's probably a reason to remove it now, otherwise it can wait a bit.

It is, if I can estimate from the picture, about 5 feet from the foundation? So you will eventually want to remove it, I guess.

I would do some landscaping and plant a couple other trees and get them started, so you don't have a completely denuded yard when you do remove the tree.

• sam_md
    12 years ago

{{gwi:341151}}
    Here's a respectable Eastern Red Cedar or Juniperus virginianaCedar Waxwings AWA many other birds eat the blue berries, especially in the winter since they are persistent. The habit of this species is really variable. Your tree is no threat to your house. It stands out because it's the only tree there. Donna's advice sounds about right to me.

• dricha
    12 years ago

I'd at least prune it up a little. It still has some potential.

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

ERC are very pleasing trees to enjoy when they are 30-40+years old. I have a couple very old ones on my property and I find them attractive. The 1000's of seedlings and saplings in the woods not so much and I am eliminating them as quick as time allows. One of the few trees I do care to watch grow from a baby to a mature specimen. Best enjoyed if a large specimen is inherited or has some character like yours. That tree is not going to get tremendously larger, it is leaning away from the house, and it is one of the few (only?) shade tree on the property. I'd keep it for these reasons.

John

• poaky1
    12 years ago

If it's healthy I would keep it and add some more plants in your yard. It looks funny because it's all alone but for the couple shrubs right by the house. It doesn't look really funny anyway IMHO.

• GardenGuyZone6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow. Lots of great feedback. Thanks eveyone!

Here are some close-ups requested. Notice the bark is naturally srhedding/lifting and has white "spots". I wonder if the white is normal.... Hope this helps to ID.

{{gwi:341153}}

{{gwi:341155}}

{{gwi:341158}}

• j0nd03
    12 years ago

Juniperus virginiana it is. BTW, that last shot is begging for some trees unless that space is used for football or chipping golf balls and the like. After some other trees get going, you could saw this one down. Just throwing this out there ;)

John

• denninmi
    12 years ago

GardenGuy -- the exfoliating (peeling) bark and the light colored patches are perfectly normal for this species.

Also, if you will notice the brown "tips" on the foliage in your closeup of yesterday, that is normal, too, those are the pollen cones, part of the reproductive cycle of the tree.

• GardenGuyZone6a
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Denninmi,

Thanks for the feedback. The white had me worried.

• wisconsitom
    12 years ago

Also, should you decide to leave it there, there's no harm nor great difficulty in removing a few branches that rub against the house. I actually like trees near tall houses. It's a design thing. But I don't like those trees growing on the house. That's what pruning saws are for.

+oM