Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Cherry Varieties?

Posted by bobby1973 6b (robertchacko@msn.com) on
Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 10:23

Hi, I'm in the process of deciding on a pink weeping cherry to buy. I'm faced with 2 types: Prunus Pendula and Plena Rosea. I'm not that familiar with these trees, and would love to hear what others out there have to say about each type. It sounds like the Plena Rosea has 'double flower' blooms. Do they grow about the same size? Is any one more disease resistant than the other? Do they both have similar growth habits, where the branches will cascade down to ground level? Would love to hear what my peers out there think? Thanks a bunch! Btw, one thing I did notice is that the nursery that I visited is charging $285 for the Prunus Pendula and $450 for th Plena Rosea. It's a huge price difference, and yet they're both the same size. So there has to be something unique about the Plena Rosea that justifies the higher price. Look foward to hearing from you guys:) Thanks!

bobby~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Cherry Varieties?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 23, 10 at 13:17

They're both Prunus pendula. Maybe the first one has a single flower, the second is definitely supposed to be a stronger pink double.

I would not pay nearly that much for either, buy a smaller specimen instead.

Recently Lake County (wholesale) nursery, Perry, OH came up with a new introduction, marketed under the selling name Pink Snow Showers, that is supposed to be an improvement. It appeared right away at a garden center here, on the other side of the country, so if you look around you might be able to find one to try.

o

Way too much to pay. Shop around some more.

Dan

o

Really, you think that's pricey? These are 7-8' tall balled & burlaped trees. I thought that accounted for the high price, as opposed to buying a smaller version of the tree in a container. Thanks for the feedback!

o

Bobby, keep that wallet in your pocket and look around. I got one 5' tall at a hardware store that puts a nursery in front every year. Bought it later in the season and it was reduced from $70 to $35 and in a 3 gal. pot. Put it in, it bloomed the next spring then I had to move it to put in a new patio. It loves the new spot as the feet stay shaded most of the day and a little damp. Last year it put on 7' of growth and bloomed really well this spring. I love mine. The birds love to sit in it too, an added bonus. A home one block over has one in their side yard and it is about 20' tall. And my neighbors liked mine so much they put one in their yard.
Hope you find a reasonable one.
Tina

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here