Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreen suggestion wanted

Posted by grinder12000 4ish (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 17, 12 at 10:32

My wife really wants an evergreen. We don't have any GREAT place to put one but if I could find a "dwarf"? Something that will not take up a wide birth - any suggestions?

Iowa Juniper??? Mountbattien Juniper?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreen suggestion wanted

they post all kinds of pix over in the conifer forum ...

it would help to know your size demands.. color.. soil.. approx. location.. etc ...

ken

o
RE: Evergreen suggestion wanted

I'll play. Without further specifics such as Ken asked for, some wild suggestions that may or may not be appropriate, but you can at least look at and comment on.

I believe I had a pair of these in a front flower bed - Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Verdoni' (Dwarf Golden Hinoki False Cypress). The golden blaze-on-green was nice, and the shape/form had a rather artistic looking flare, somewhat open. Foliage was pleasant to touch, unlike many conifers. My 2 were expected to grow slow & get 3 - 4 feet tall over time, and weren't wide but weren't so narrow as to look ugly, either.

Another somewhat small option would be one of those 'bush' Colorado Blue Spruces, Picea Pungens 'glauca globosa,' grafted so it's lifted 2 or 3 feet off the ground.

Richard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here