Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for a tree

Posted by Sandy255 Kentucky zone 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 4, 13 at 11:15

I live near Louisville KY. Soil is heavy clay. Looking for a fast growing shade tree thats roots are not invasive as it will be close (maybe 200 feet) from a septic drainage field. Not too conserned about the height or foilage. The last few years here the summers have been very hot and dry. This tree will be used to provide shade to pets.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for a tree

you can never go wrong with a white oak (Quercus alba)

o

A septic field 200 feet away should not represent a concern in choosing a tree. Consider whatever other factors you think important, and stop worrying about the septic field.

o

Liriodrendon tulipfera, called tulip tree around here, grows fast and has the shade tree shape.

Metasequoia grows well in most of Kentucky but is pyramidal as far as our lifetimes are concerned.

The oaks have a bit of an unfair rap as slow growers. I say pick one with fall color that grows well.

o

Hard to go wrong with an oak, but there are are plenty of good choices in other species.
My fave is the bur oak - native to KY, tolerant of a wide range of soil types & pH, drought-resistant once established fast-growing yet long-lived; large green leaves, corky bark, even on 1-yr twigs, interesting acorns, and striking winter silhouette. Fall color? None to speak of - but it's a standout the other 50 weeks of the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bur oak

o

Here's another good reason to plant a Bur Oak...

o

VV,
Is that the one?
Gonna start grafting some today...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here