Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jujujojo_gw

amelanchier x grandiflora

jujujojo_gw
11 years ago

What is your experience with these? How long do they bloom for each year?

Comments (22)

• hortster
    11 years ago

Mine are just getting ready to bloom. I figure on 10-14 days of flower, but enjoy the red fruit (pome) as long as it lasts - the robins remove it pretty quickly. Also, the orange to red fall color is a knockout! A great all around ornamental plant.
    hortster

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hortster 6B S.central KS
    If possible, could you share some pictures of your trees? How old are they?

• hortster
    11 years ago

They were planted fall of 2010 as 6-8' multi-stem plants. This is a picture of one of them was taken the following spring. Will post another closeup of the fruit...
    hortster

• hortster
    11 years ago

The fruit (before the robin onslaught!)
    hortster

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

In cool weather, my blooms last 2 weeks, if hot (80s) they may last as little as 5 days. Fruit makes an awesome pie and fall color is quite good. No spring pix, just fall...

Nice backdrop for conifers.

{{gwi:341850}}

tj

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

tsugajunkie z5 SE W
    That is beautiful. Thank you so much. Do you have a good picture of the tree in bloom?

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

No spring pix, just fall...

tj

• hairmetal4ever
    11 years ago

amelanchier are very underrated, IMHO.

• calliope
    11 years ago

Mine is in bloom now and it's ethereal. Nicest bloom I ever had on it. I was always sort of underwhelmed with it before, but when they come into their glory you can understand why people like them. Mine doesn't seem to last two weeks in bloom, but of course it's very weather dependent. If it's not storming tomorrow, I can go see if I can get a pic on it. It's hard to capture trees with white bloom on them to do them justice unless you zoom in on the blooms, but I'll give it a try.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Much-planted here, usually as named cultivars. 'Autumn Brilliance' is probably the most prevalent at this time.

• bengz6westmd
    11 years ago

hortster, the fruit looks mouth-watering. A slim, wild 35' serviceberry just down the road is on the verge, but hasn't bloomed just yet.

I just ordered a couple of "Sweet Blue" Saskatoons (A. alnifolia) from OIKOS. Hoping they will do OK here in the summer heat as they are cold-climate Canadian natives.

Edit: The nearby serviceberry IS blooming now. The lowest branches/flowers are 20' up tho, so fruit is inaccessible.

This post was edited by beng on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 10:43

• hortster
    11 years ago

Just as a note, the one pictured earlier is 'Autumn Brilliance' as bboy mentioned. tsugajunkie's fall picture shows its pretty dependable fall color.
    hortster

• calliope
    11 years ago

The serviceberry in bloom near the grotto..........not the perfect situation for it, but it just minds its own business and does its thing. Overcast this morning and not the best shot.

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

Birds take the fruit here well before any person ever gets any of it. Likewise blueberry bushes and cherry trees, if they aren't netted then forget it - you have made a wildlife planting.

• WxDano
    11 years ago

Birds take the fruit here well before any person ever gets any of it.

On the east side of the Cascades, the Amelanchier alnifolia berries (Saskatoon) during the Depression kept many people from having health problems and having to visit the doctor. You had a tiny window of around a week to be on top of it before the birds won, and folks would spread out across the landscape to beat the birds. It was a symbol of folk working together during tough times. Now it is mostly used as dye.

[/geeky ethnobotany]

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

calliope 6 (My Page) on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 17:40
    Can you post a close-up picture?

• calliope
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, it is too late now.....the blooms are just tiny shreds and falling.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I finally took a picture. The blooms of this tree only last 3 (three) days. It is in full bloom only one day in an entire year. I took the picture on that one day.

{{gwi:341851}}

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by hortster 6B S.central KS (My Page) on Fri, Apr 19, 13 at 14:56

I did not realize their fruits become ready so quickly. They are red and they look like cherry. Are they ready to eat now? Do you eat them directly off the tree?

• bengz6westmd
    10 years ago

The ones I see here get a dark, purplish red when fully ripe (the very darkest one in horster's pic). By then, the birds have already gotten most. That's the problem.

They're fine right off the stem.

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 9:24

I did pick the dark purple ones (it is not that hard for our species to pick the ripe fruits). It is reasonably good. Not as good as strawberry, blueberry or cherry, though. I thought it is better than crane berry =)

Now, has anyone history or first hand experience with the medical effects of these trees?

• jujujojo_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been collecting and eating these from street trees. I hope I do not suffer from any kind of pollution or poisoning.