Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Specimen tree, front yard, full sun

Posted by mkeister Z6 NYLong Islnd (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 11:29

Who would like to advise me?

I want to plant a new tree in our western-facing front yard on Long Island (zone 6b) with full sun for most of the day, including all afternoon. The location is near to where our water and sewage pipes travel, fyi. And my front yard is pretty small.

I adore tallish Japanese Maples (25-30 feet), but am not tied to that idea. Especially because it is full sun, and that concerns me. I don't love the ones like Bloodgood that are red all year. I like a green time! Also not a fan of very light pink flowering trees.

My wish list:
1. No foreseen issue with pipes from house
2. Height between 15-30 feet, spread similar range
3. Fall color or attractive variation during the year
4. Able to withstand the full sun
5. Forgiving of sandy soil

Thanks for your ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Specimen tree, front yard, full sun

trees can not.. and will not impact fully intact pipes ...

they will invade already damaged pipes... especially old school tile type pipes regarding sewage ... especially if they are deep rooted trees ...

how old are you pipes..??? .. how deep are they ... have they ever been inspected ...

i would suggest.. that the more modern PVC type pipes are not an issue with trees ..

all trees prefer sand.. they love the drainage as such.. its a non issue.. if properly planted and tended until 'established' ...

and almost all trees love full sun ... understory trees.. which we think of as shade trees.. are usually what one might call.. tolerant of shade ..

next.. height.. no tree ever stops growing.. its all about its annual growth rate.. and how fast it gets to yoru noted height.. and how fast it grows past it ...

so if you want a smaller tree... you dont go with something like a maple.. that grow 3 to 5 feet per year .... as compared to something that might grow a foot or two.. and take many more years to get to your height limit ...

there all your variables.. but the important one.. lol ... i dont know what kind of tree ... to suggest ....

check out the link.. for a list of available JMaples... that are not red

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o
RE: Specimen tree, front yard, full sun

Some Suggestions
Yellowwood (Cladrastus kentuckea
Redbud (Cercis Canadensis)
American Hornbeam (Carpinus caroliniana)
Osage Orange (Maclura pomifera)
Hedge Maple (Acer campestre)
Snake Bark Maple (Acer pensylvanicum, Acer davidii)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here