Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thaddy1978

Emerald Green Thuja

thaddy1978
13 years ago

I am new to this site...as well as fairly new to the gardening/planting world and just can't wait till I can start planting here in Utah, However I am transplanted here, from Virginia, so I have a lot to learn about this climate.

Now, the topic I need help with: I have read a lot on Thuja's and had decided on the Green Giant, but realized how bug they got and how small my yard is. I can see the neighbors walking around in through their big sliding glass door, as I am sure they can see me and my family. I need a hedge! the 6' fence is not tall enough--our house sits higher than theirs by several feet. Home Depot locally sells the Thuja Occidentalis (the Emerald Green variety) for great prices, but they say on their tags that they only grow 8 to 10 feet. This is not tall enough. HD online says the Emerald Greens grow 12 to 15 feet. Is this a different sub variety? Also, one site says to plant (for a hedge) 2' centers and another site says 4' centers for a hedge. What's the deal? How fast do the Emerald Greens grow? Is there something else I can plant that grows quickly that provides privacy that is not overbearing like the Green Giant but is evergreen? The soil here is sandy and the environment is desert-like and has a regular hot drought season, but can get very cold and wet in the winter. We also have a lot of wind. What do you think??

Comments (5)