Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
wild holly trees

Posted by florrie2 7A Maryland (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 25, 09 at 12:08

Hi Folks: Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll give it a try.

I have a few holly seedlings growing in my woods (probably seeded by birds). I'm sure they're from some local BIG holly trees nearby. I'd like to move one or more closer to my house, but don't want to deal with a 40 foot tree!

Can I prune these guys? I'd like to get some 8-10 foot hollies cheap!

Thanks, Florrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: wild holly trees

Do you mean can you transplant them?
The answer is yes but now is really awful time to try it.

o

Thanks, yes, I'd like to transplant them up nearer the house, but I don't want to deal with a big holly. Can I prune to be smaller? I can wait until fall to tx. No rush!

Thanks,
Florrie

o

If the hollies you are finding are Ameican Hollies (Ilex Opaca), they are quite large (and magnificent) in maturity but very slow growing.
You can continually prune it to try to contain it but if what you want is a shrub form, you're better off going and getting a chinese holly shrub. 3 gallon chinese hollies go for about $11. They come in numerous varieties. Some bigger than others.

o

Yes, that's what I was afraid of. I'll probably transplant them in the fall up near the driveway where they can grow to their magnificent selves.

F

o

I have a wild holly that started about 3/4 yrs ago, this summer it has grown probably 3ft. which has really surprised me, my husband wants to transplant because he is afraid the roots will run into the foundation, plus we had talked of enlarging our porch (that it is near) so how do the roots grow down or out? Iv been told that it probably wont live, this person had tried moving some before, i dont wont to lose this beautiful volunteer so any help would be greatly appericated

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here