Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Pine tree worms???

Posted by jayinflorida USDA9 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 12:11

What is this and what needs to be done? My new pine needle growth is turning brown and has these inside of the needles...
Pine needle worm?

Pine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Pine tree worms???

Yuck!!!
I would cut all the growth that is turning brown, get rid of it, and maybe spray some water with soap in the leaves, this could help kill the worms.
If theres any better idea, dont make anything of what I said.

o

That's one of the pine needle miners. I'd call your local extension office for recommendations of control measures and the timing of such measures.

o

Will they kill a tree or just damage the new buds? I pulled out the brown needles and several had worms in them, maybe 4 or 5 that I saw and then I sprayed some soap water on the affected bud areas. You know, a few months back something laid some small white eggs on a branch that looked like butterfly eggs. I'm thinking now that it was a bad idea to leave them! I'm pretty sure that was what got into the buds.

o

Yeah, I only leave eggs if I am quite sure of what layed them. Every year, these butterflies lay their eggs in my passiflora, and its quite fun to see them grow, I even capture some to see them develope more closely. Whats not fun is when sometimes worms eat the flowerbuds.

o

Pull off the brown needles, and you'll get most (if not all) of the caterpillars.

Resin

o

They won't kill your tree unless the conditions are right. Such critters are the result of drought and such attacking weakened trees.

Dan

o

We are heading into our 4th year of a drought. Thanks for all the info... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here