Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How, when and where to prune newly planted trees

Posted by jowall Z6 Nashville TN (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 12:11

So I bought some trees at a discount last fall - they'd been out of the ground for a long time - so I got a discount.

Planted them over winter and crossed my fingers. Overall, everything looks good now that the leaves are coming in.

1. One is a Dawn Redwood and it appears that all the growth is coming in strong all the way to the tips of the limbs EXCEPT for the very tip top of the leader. It's probably 7 feet tall now and maybe the top 6 inches are not leafing.

Should I cut the top off to encourage new growth

2. The others are Sycamores (1.5" - probaby 9 feet tall and they are doing relatively well, but there are a very few branches that aren't leafing out on the tips... a couple are probably more than the tips. Some of them are just the tips.

What should I do with these? Obviously they haven't been 100% established as they are getting ready to endure their first summer after being in the ground. I also don't want to have dead wood on these, and I want to encourage new, strong growth.

Trying to post photos... so stand by

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How, when and where to prune newly planted trees

• Posted by jowall Z6 Nashville TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 12:18

Picture of tree

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to image of tree

o

give the one in the pic.. a couple more weeks ... to see what happens ...

then PROPERLY prune off the dead stuff ... better pix.. will get you better suggestions ... leave no stubs...

try the link for better pic posting ... once your pix are there.. use the HTML code .. and paste it where you type.. on preview.. if you see it.. we will ...

no where to go with the DR.. w/o a pic ...

there is no hurry with trees ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 12:40

Cutting off dead bits serves to tidy the plant up. Cutting back live parts forces it to use stored energy to replace the lost stems and foliage. This is counterproductive where you are trying to encourage rapid size increase. Although sufficiently vigorous plants make long straight shoots in response to heading cuts, the overall volume of the increase in size for the same period of time is less than if the specimen had not been cut back.

o

but we in z5.. and probably in z6 .. are weeks behind bboy in the PNW.. and should wait.. just to see what happens ...

you can always cut stuff off a tree later.. you cant staple it back on ...

ken

ps: speaking of which.. i wonder what happened to that one guy who use liquid nails.. his air nailer.. etc.. anyone remember the name of that post.. it should be coming up on a year now..

o

• Posted by jowall Z6 Nashville TN (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 11, 12 at 18:58

So do I cut the entire limb or do I cut only back to the living piece?

o

Dead limbs should be removed by pruning immediately beyond the branch bark ridge/branch collar. Larger limbs with plenty of growth on the lower portion of the limb can be addressed with reduction/drop-crotch cuts. Reduction cuts are often "discouraged" for really large trees because of the large wounds that are left and get covered over slowly. You can definitely, safely use this type of pruning on your tree and it's relatively small branches.

o

So do I cut the entire limb or do I cut only back to the living piece?

==>> i dont understand brandons answer in any sense..

post a pic and we can help ...

if we are talking about a couple inches of die back on a 3 foot branch ... there would be no reason to remove the whole ...

if we are talking 90 per cent.. yes..

you have not provided enough info for a good answer

ken

o

Ken, my answer was similar to yours with the addition of recommendations on how to accomplish the pruning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here