Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying orange blobs on little pine tree, 2 pictures

Posted by jxf011 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 12:14

I have a little pine tree in a pot outside that has lots of little orange blobs on it. The pot has holes in the bottom, I haven't fertilized or treated it, and I've watered a few times recently. Is it fungus, bugs, harmless sap, or what? I really like this little tree and hope it will be ok. Thanks in advance, jxf011
little pine tree with orange blogs - tree1
little pine tree with orange blogs, close up - tree2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying orange blobs on little pine tree, 2 pictures

pine tree???

how about a juniper..

and no.. it wont have pine cones .. it will have juniper cones/berries .. because it is a conifer ...

check out the link

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

It is a type of rust. It won't harm your juniper, but it's a host for this organism and the resulting spores from it can cause fungal diseases on members of the rose family (apples, quince and hawthorn included)

o

Yes, cedar-apple-rust on a juniper. Doesn't mean that you did anything wrong.

o

yeah it does.. lol..

they grew a juniper..

if in fact it had been a pine.. there would be no problem ...

ken

o

Thanks for all the feedback. Is this summary of the comments correct?
* it's a juniper
* it has rust, probably cedar-apple-rust
* I didn't do anything wrong, e.g. over water
* there's no specific course of action I should take
* the juniper will probably be fine
If those bullets are right, about how long will the orange blobs stay there and is this a yearly thing?
Thanks again, jxf011

o

yes.. it is endemic on juniper ...

and note the name.. APPLE rust .. so though it has no impact on the juniper.. it is causing problems on nearby apple.. which would probably include crabapple [and i wouldnt be surprised if problems on oother prunus] ... but you can research that part.. if i mis-spoke ... or others will correct me ...

if it were me ... i would be done with them.. as i have been with many juniper in my garden ...

and .. i would get.. wait for it.. a pine .. lol ... and play with those..

both the juniper and pine are very large.. fast growing trees ... so when i say play with them.. in pots, it is short term.. unless you have mother earth options ...

there are many mini conifers.. which can live in pots for a very long time ... but growing conifers in pots can be very tricky ..

good luck

ken

o

it is endemic on juniper

Only on certain kinds of juniper. See the attached link for resistant species - there are many!

Also the 'cedar' referred to in this and other info sheets on the subject apply only as the common name for Juniperus virginiana, eastern red cedar. It is NOT a cedar and true cedars (Cedrus species) are not subject to this disease.

o
Oops....forgot the link!

Try this :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: cedar-apple rust - resistant species

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here