Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will cutting Ficus Tree surface roots kill tree ?

Posted by will_3 FL (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 12:23

We have 3 relative large (40 feet high) Ficus Tree's along the back of our property... planted by previous property owner.

We want to cut off the surface roots in order to dig and plant other types of tree's... (or whatever)... then in a year or two maybe take the Ficus trees out (after our new trees/whatever are established)

My Questions:
1 - Do Ficus Tree's have both surface and deep roots?
2 - Will the Tree's blow over in a wind with out the surface roots?
3 - Will they die before our new stuff is established in about two years?

Thanks for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will cutting Ficus Tree surface roots kill tree ?

Ficus benjamina have very problematic surface roots. They are nice trees but really not a good choice for a south florida home lawn due to problems with slab, plumbing and pool damage. As if that wasn't enough they are prone to pest/disease.
If I were you, I'd taken them out and replace them with an awesome native tree like Sugarberry.

o

Most likely we will take them out in about two years.

Right now they give us afternoon shade and some privacy.

We are planting other trees/etc between them. When the new stuff gros we will probably remove the Ficus trees.

I still need to know if cutting the surface roots will make the tree fall over in a wind... or kill it before I'm ready to take it down.

o

The short answer is "probably not", to either making them fall over or die off. Hurricanes coming directly overhead negate any guarantees, however :-).

Their root system is so massive, as I recall, that cutting it will probably have little effect. However, cutting roots is just like cutting branches - it encourages growth from the cut ends. I would make any planting holes a LOT bigger/wider that you might otherwise, to try to limit root competition from the ficus. Unfortunately, watering the new trees as they will require will also encourage the ficus roots to grow into the holes from the outside. You might want to push a shovel into the soil around the outside edges of the planting holes every few months to prune off the ficus roots and keep them out of the planting holes. The roots of the new trees shouldn't grow out to fill the hole so quickly that you would be also cutting them.

And, of course, I assume you will mulch the new trees, no mulch in the 2-4" next to the trunk, out as fas as possible, at least to the drip line, and no deeper than 4".

o

That is a good answer from Dibbit and it sounds like you got a good plan going. And hopefully planting something other than palms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here