Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddogmike_gw

Replace fallen Leyland Cypress trees?

MadDogMike
10 years ago

The previous owner of my home planted a row of Leyland cypress trees along the perimeter of the fence for screening. (I know, it's a monoculture, and Leylands are trouble-prone, but it is what it is.)

Anyway, last night after heavy rains one of the Leylands fell, and a couple more have been leaning for quite some time. I've read differing opinions on what to do - should I try to prop them up with guy wires / anchors, or just replace them?

If replace, I'm considering green giant arborvitae instead. Would it look strange in a row of Leylands to have a few green giant arborvitaes? Or are they close enough that it wouldn't really matter?

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Probably root-bound - much nursery stock is, and this one shoots up to make a heavy top that then dumps over on the deformed root system that has not been able to produce an adequate anchorage.

You may want to replace with 'Green Giant' anyway, due to other issues with the cypress. But same as with the cypress you will have to look for root problems and make what corrections you think you can in order to assure long term success.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

They have them over 100' tall in England, dating back to original occurrences - quite a bit more than 20 years ago.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

bboy said: Probably root-bound - much nursery stock is,

===

the corollary to that .. is that they were improperly planted ...

you are spot on with the monoculture... but it sounds like you are thinking the same thing with the GG ... whats that all about ....???

the bigger the plant you buy.. the longer its been in the pot ... so the more potential problems you have with such ...

so dont go all.. i am planting 6 to 8 footers.. because you could end up back in the same spot.. should you live so long ...

2 to 4 footers... transplant and get established so much faster.. that they would probably outgrow a 6 to 8 foot transplant inside 3 to 5 years ... instant gratification is questionable when dealing with trees ...

talk to your county extension office... should you wish local suggestions for a diverse culture ... and then bring their suggestions back here and we can discuss.. if you wish ....

ken

• hairmetal4ever
    10 years ago

Thuja 'Green Giant' is a better alternative, but depending on space, rather than a monoculture, why not try something different?

I've seen landscape diagrams far better than what I could come up with myself, but the idea is basically to build a border/hedge, but make it "natural" looking by using various species and types of trees, and not all in a single-file line, but somewhat intermittent arrangement. Yo do need a bit more room on your lot to pull it off, and some vision and creativity (which I lack) to make it look good.

• scotjute Z8
    10 years ago

As one who has Leyland Cypress in the yard, I would vote for you to replace them with something else once they fall over/die/etc.
    We are replacing ours with Notabilis Cypress and Ovensi Cypress. Notabils is doing well but is slower growing. Ovensi has just been planted and too soon to comment on.
    Green Giant didn't do well for me in hot dry Z8 with 30" of rainfall. I felt like they would do ok in Z8 areas with more rainfall which you have in Ga.
    Carolina Sapphire (Arizona Cypress cultivar with blue color) might be another choice if your area is well-drained. It has done well here.
    Of course native Eastern Red Cedar is another choice.
    I personally like the different shades of green and blue mixed in among each other. Good luck.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

A good sequence for a straight line of upright conifers is one yellow in the center, as a highlight, flanked by two blue ones (one on each side) and then the rest green. I'd do something like this instead of a jumble - especially when it is a formal arrangement like a straight line.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting