Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Something is wrong Ivory Silk Tree Lilac

Posted by mori1 5/KS (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 12:41

Smething is wrong with the leaves on my tree. I got this tree several years ago and really enjoy its late blooms in the summer. But yesterday, I noticed that the leaves look like they have bumps and the leaves are curled. I don't know what's wrong with it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Something is wrong Ivory Silk Tree Lilac

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 13:09

Are the bumps small scaly brown bumps? If so, you probably have a scale infestation. Horticultural oil or certain insecticides are used to treat this.

If that doesn't appear to be the problem, posting a picture might get you a more accurate diagnosis.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 13:16

Possibly lilac blight.

o
Or Maybe

Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 13:17

Lilac leaf miner. Search "lilac problems" or similar phrases. Or try Kansas Cooperative Extension Service for diagnostic assistance.

o
RE: Something is wrong with my Ivory Silk Tree Lilac

I didn't know that lilac even got blight. I had to treat spring snow crabapple tree last year for something similar. Our extension office send out quarterly newsletters which has a nice section on trees but mine is not commonly grown in this area. I will check out some of yours suggestions.

Thanks

o
Something is Perhaps Vulnerable About Ivory Silk Tree Lilac

Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 13:40

Lilac blight also affects magnolias. Search Pseudomonas syringae. The species name is after Syringa, the genus of lilacs.

So, yes, lilacs get a blight.

One oversized garden center/growing operation I worked at here was watering the potted lilac sales area with overhead sprinklers when it stared to warm up in spring. The common lilac cultivars seemed to hold up under this OK but the new growth on the tree lilacs came out and then blighted off badly. I am sure it was the overhead dousing.

o

bboy,

I think your right, I got some leaves. Its the new growth that seems to be affected the worse. The established leaves don't seems so bad but I can't treat it. Right now we are in our "rainy season" here. Rain has been forecast for every other day in the next two weeks. So what do I do?

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 30, 09 at 15:11

Lilac blight doesn't cause bumps on the leaves. It can cause malformed leaves and usually causes black/brown areas on the leaves. Again, a picture or more details are necessary to diagnose a problem like this.

o

Brandon7, your right, that's why I went outside and collected some leaves. I examined and compared the leaves to pictures I saw online. I'm almost 90% sure its blight and due to rain being in the forecast for the next several weeks, treating it will be a problem. So I have emailed the Johnson county extension office for advice.

o

Brandon7 and bboy just came back from the extension office while it does look like blight, its not. Turns out due the early warm up in late February the leaves on the tree came out early. We then had two late freezes in late March and about the second week in April. It didn't seem to affect any thing except the early blooming flowers and it seems the leaves on this tree. So I guess its freeze burn not sure if that's the right word. Hopefully in a few weeks there will be some leaves but it might not bloom.

One thing I did find interesting is out of the three people in the office only one even knew about lilac trees. They're just not common in our area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here