Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID - mostly dead but coming back

Posted by karyn 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 12:52

I've attached a photo - this tree is all dead leaves and dry brittle branches, but finally showing some signs of new growth - location Florida.

No idea what kind of tree this is - is it going to be OK?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID - mostly dead but coming back

Ash or tree of heaven? Hard to tell for sure

o

Here's another photo of one of the sprouting areas - as you can see the tree is practically dead except for these

o

Kinda looks like Honey Locust to me... but I'm no Florida tree expert.

o

• Posted by beng z6 western MD (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 9:44

Water locust? Give it time, but looks like alot of damage.

o

we would need a pic of the whole after it has fully leafed out..

and i know nothing about a water locust if that is proper ...

but the fact.. on your last pic showing it budding out.. way back on a large limb .. is a suggestion to me.. not seeing the rest of the limb.. that the rest is probably dead ...

odds are.. its a goner.. as to a shape and form many of us would enjoy ...

and by the time you paid some tree monkey to prune out all the dead stuff ... you may as well pay him to remove it.. and plant another ... and i am not one to spend hard earned money.. trying to 'save' it thru applications of products that will only make boat payments for a tree service ...

all that speculation subject to you showing us the rest of the tree in a few weeks... so we can see how aggressively it is leafing out ...

ken

o

Whatever it is, I'd yank it out.

Is this a normally deciduous tree?

o

The condition of the tree, the presence of Spanish Moss, the shape of the seed pods, and the leaves suggest a sub-tropical (or tropical) tree from Fabaceae (Pea family). Don't know which one but definitely not Honeylocust or Water locust (seed pods don't match).

What do the flowers look like...have you seen flowers in past years?

Like most places in the continental US, it got a fair bit colder in your region than you are used to and the tree experienced freeze/cold related die back.

o

It is a Yellow Poinciana Tree. They take forever to leaf out in the spring.

o

Thanks everyone - I don't know the history of the tree - we just moved into this house 6 months ago and it went dead over winter. I never saw flowers on it, but will keep an eye out and see how the new growth does. Strange that the leaves never fell off after they died.

o

"Strange that the leaves never fell off after they died."
Those are not dead leaves, but seed pods

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here