Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emerald Ash Borer

Posted by SnailLover MI zone 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 13:07

I had tree trimmers here last fall to trim some limbs. The head guy informed me that my ash has Emerald Ash Borer. He wanted to take it down right there, but I told him to hold off so I could think about it. The tree had leaves and I didn't notice a problem, but the tree guy saw right away that some branches were bare.

I've been doing some research on the types of treatment. The trunk has a 56" circumference and it's roughly 40 feet high. I'm going to talk to a nursery as well, but wondering if anyone has had experience with this? Can they be saved?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emerald Ash Borer

do you have the only ash left in MI???

what did they tell you it would cost.. per year.. for the rest of your life ...

since cost is my biggest determinative factor... i would have been done with it last year ... one time expense ...

regardless of what you decide.. now is the time to plant a replacement or two ... i favor oaks.. down here in adrian mi ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: see link

o

Maybe I do, Ken, lol. So none left where you are? I haven't priced any treatment yet. If this is something I will have to do every year to MAYBE save the tree, then I agree it isn't worth it. I was thinking you just treat it once and the larvae die. Maybe I'm wrong. I guess if it were that easy we'd still have ash trees. I'll call the extension office this week.

ETA: Oops, just noticed your link. Thanks, I will read up on it.

I did see an interesting article just now which makes me hopeful:

Here is a link that might be useful: Extreme cold may wipe out EAB larvae

This post was edited by SnailLover on Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 17:32

o

If the dieback is limited to a few limbs you should still be able to save the tree. Check out pages 3 & 4 of this publication: "Insecticide Options for Protecting Ash Trees from Emerald Ash Borer" at www.emeraldashborer.info

As far as cold temps impacting EAB, see link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: EAB Can Survive Harsh Winter

o

Thanks arbordave! I saved the PDF and made note of the insecticides. I will call some arborists on Monday and see what they say. I think it's worth a shot. As for the cold weather, yeah, as cold as it was this winter, I don't think it was THAT cold. Darn.

o

To update, I had an arborist look at the tree today. He specializes in EAB. He saw buds on most of the branches and said there's a good chance it can be saved if I treat it this year. He uses TREE-age, which is emamectin benzoate and says it's good for 2-3 years. $200. Would probably cost the same to have the tree cut down, so I feel it's worth a try. Turns out my boss used this same guy to treat a bunch of ashes on his property last year. We'll find out soon how well they leaf out this year.

o

Right on the knife edege of advisability. In most cases, the treatments must be protective. Curative? Not so much.

You're willing to spend the $$ so in the end, it's your call. Let us know what happens next year and the year after. Emamectin is the best current material.

+oM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here