Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weeping Cherry won't bloom

Posted by natespoppy Zone 5 (Chicago) (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 13:22

4 years ago I planted a somewhat mature snow fountain weeping cherry. Very healthy and happy, loads of morning and afternoon sun. Except for a handful of flowers, it has not bloomed for me yet. I have been searching online for the past few days and have only found one post advising rose fertilizer. Any advice would be greatly apreciated from this novice gardener.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weeping Cherry won't bloom

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 15:07

Fertilizing shouldn't be relevant. If flower buds are forming then not opening something is killing them. Too cold? Birds eating them?

o

i planted a tiny stick .. took it 5 years to have one single flower.. and handful the next.. and then finally the whole tree ... 7 years ...

you say it was mature when you planted.. shall i presume ball and burlap .. wherein every single root of your mature tree was severed for balling???

if so ... you will have to wait.. until it regrows a root system sufficient for it to waste a lot of energy on flowers ....

if it is in the middle of the lawn.. high nitro fertilizer.. used on the lawn.. could interfere with flower production ...

bud set is in fall the year before... if the tree was somehow impacted in fall.. drought.. too much lawn fert.. etc ... the flower buds could have aborted..

as well as a hard frost in early spring... but one would think the flower production would be reduced.. not entirely destroyed....

more facts ... like how it came.. how it was planted.. and how you have cared for it since.. might be helpful for more precise answers ...

but sometimes it just comes down to the tree doing it.. when the tree wants to do it.. and nothing you can do is going to speed it up ...

IMHO ..NEVER fertilize a tree .. waste of money ... if not downright harmful if done improperly ...

ken

o

You can try adding some potassium or bone meal, the soil could be deficient and the only way to tell is to get a soil sample analyzed but if everything else is okay it just could be it is not ready yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagating Perennials

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 20:55

'Snofozam' being a vegetatively propagated clonal cultivar, all specimens have the sexual maturity of the original parental specimen. Stock of all sizes at outlets here drips with flowers, not matter how light a grade.

o

It's possible that a frost may have gotten to it...but I feel it's more likely that A) it may not have enough sunlight...and B) it may have been over over fertilized...this would cause the greens to be very showy, the plant to grow tall and healthy fast, but not to flower...cut back on the fertilizer earlier in the fall, and if possible, move to a sunnier location while the tree is dormant (early spring or late fall).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here