Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Japanese maple tree...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Hi,ya'll! I'm trying to identify this Japanes maple from my garden. It is about 6 feet tall now,and I purchased it from a street fair several years ago,when it was a seedling only about 1 ft. tall. This is a close-up of the leaves which are still expanding,so this pic is enlarged from its actual size. Any of you who grow Japanese maples,could you hazard a guess about its name? Thanks in advance. Phil

{{gwi:343887}}

Comments (7)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    10 years ago

If grown from a seed, it is just generic green JM.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

In other words,you just don't know! Duhh! I already knew it is a green Japanese maple. How do you think people who sell them get new ones? Sorry I asked!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

come on phil...

is it a grafted plant.. which would have a cultivar name ..

or is it just some random seedling ...

there are 3 less named JM's as there are named hosta.. [which it in the ten of thousands]

and you are fully aware.. that hosta do NOT come true from seed... so why should a JM????

now ... did you mean for sure.. when you said it was a 'seedling' .. or did you mean it was just a babe ????

would you know a graft on the trunk.. if you saw it????

if it is grafted... then it probably has a name... but if its a seedling.. for sure.. then it has no name ....

ken

• Toronado3800 Zone 6 St Louis
    10 years ago

Who is it, UBC with a heck of a japanese maple forum last time I checked.

I have a generic acer palmatum that is fairly attractive. No shame in that. If you have evidence it was grafted then worry about names.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

Chill, hostafreak!! Any and all seed grown Japanese maples are just generic JM's. Cultivated or named forms can only be propagated asexually, typically by grafting or less frequently, from cuttings. If yours is a seedling grown tree then it is just a generic species Japanese maple. Period. No proper name, no cultivar.

People who sell them develop new varieties sometimes from brooms or sports and sometimes from seed but the only way they can produce exact duplicates is asexually. And that is only done once the trees are registered as a distinct culitvar and assigned or given a name. JM seeds do not come true to form, which is why they cannot be referred to under a cultivar name.

Actually Ken, there are only about a 1000 registered cultivars of Japanese maples and somewhat less than that in cultivation. A few more hostas than that are making the rounds :-)

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Geez,just thought I'd ask. Whatever,it is just a nice fast growing tree. I have two Bloodgood maples already,that I know are the correct ones! I'll call it green Japanese maple,how's that? BTW,Ken, Ventricosa,does come true from seed! I'll stick to the hosta forum from now on. I don't need any more abuse. Phil

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Hosta, I hope before you leave you re-read your 2nd post. Don't rush away in the heat of the week.

Please. You wrote, to his suggestion that it likely had no cultivar name, "In other words,you just don't know! Duhh! ......... Sorry I asked!"

In fact, he did know and had the correct answer. It was no abuse you suffered, only a response from Mids' friends who wrote to back up his answer of 'no name'.

Sometimes I write things I wish I hadn't just because I don't like the answer. Sometimes because I am proven wrong. Both are ways to learn, even if it feels like you are getting a pie in your face. Don't assume anything on this internet thing where we don't see your face, can't hear your tone and want the correct answer gently put forth each time. I wish it were that way too. As it is, we are a bunch of imperfect humans who arrive here in various moods, dealing with droughts and floods in our gardens, reverses at work, hassles at home.

I'm going to assume your snippy answer to Mid-Lothian Lou was out of frustration in seeing a post answered but not having the "right" answer. If you withdraw each time you feel you are getting your knuckles rapped, the world will get small and dark. I hope you reconsider your vow to not come back here.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County