Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eastern Redbud bush, no blossoms

Posted by meadowlynn 6-7 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 3, 07 at 13:49

Hello! I just bought an Eastern Redbud that is labeled Eastern Redbud Bush.. (It has more stems, like a bush, different from the ones that didn't say bush.) When I bought it it had no flowers or leaves. A few days later, it was delivered (today) Now the leaves are coming out. I thought the blossoms were supposed to come before the leaves? Or is the redbud "bush" completely different from the tree? Or could it be that once it gets in the ground and gets used to its new life, it will blossom normally (ie, next year?)
Obviously, this was something of an impluse buy..

thanks, Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eastern Redbud bush, no blossoms

Redbuds need to be a certain age before they flower, so it may be that yours just isn't old enough. They are also not too happy in pots, and resent being moved, so if yours was either in a pot or was dug and B&B, it wouldn't be happy. If you plant it, mulch it well (3-4" deep, no mulch in the 3-4" next to the trunks, extending out at least 3', 4-6' is better), and water it well for at least the first year (1 in. per week, if it doesn't rain that much that week, a deep, slow soaking watering, not a hasty sprinkle), then probably next year, and certainly the following spring, you should get flowers.

Redbuds can be trained into a single-stem, tree-form, or grown as a multi-stem, bush-form. Either is "right", you just chose which is right for you.

o

Thank you for the quick reply! And for all the information. Yes, it is in a container. Hope it lives!
I have read that the redbud is an "understory tree". Do you think it would do okay on the north side of the house? Where it would get a half day full shade and a half day full sun? (and it might be a little colder in the winter.. we're in eastern PA.)

o

That location sounds fine to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here