Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yoshino Cherry Question

Posted by house_first_timer 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 9, 10 at 14:07

I just bought a small yoshion cherry tree, about 5 ft now.

My questions are as the following:

1) If I plant it to the ground, how fast does it grow? What if I want to dig it up and transplant 2-3 years from now?

2) Or can I grow it in a big container for the first few years?

3) I read that the average size of this tree is 20-30 ft. Is it possible if I keep trimming it to keep it to 7-8 ft height?

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yoshino Cherry Question

1.) Yoshinos grow fast. Not "rapid" but fast for a small ornamental. 3' a year is probably pretty typical. They are also easy to grow and tolerate being moved better than a lot of trees. But it's really best if you can plant where it's going to live permanently.

2.) IME, it's hard to keep trees alive and/or happy in a container for that long. In a nursery or garden center there are employees watering a few times a day, fertilizing the potting soil and pruning roots and graduating the tree to larger containers when necessary. But for a home gardener this is a mammoth pain in the butt and not worth the time or money for such a readily available and fast growing tree.

3.) I don't often see yoshinos that large but it's not a recommended practice to trim to maintain such a drastically smaller size. It doesn't really make sense when there are so many showy flowering shrubs in that size ranger that would be more suitable.

o

iforgotitsonevermind,

Thanks so much for your reply. Can you please suggest some flowering shrubs in the range that I'm looking for? Would like to get a fast growing one for privacy. Thanks.

o

Are you after a hedge row, or just blocking the view of one thing, like a neighbor's house?

Do you need an evergreen to provide a screen during winter, too, or is a deciduous tree like the cherry alright?

How far from your house? Describe your yard; what part of the country do you live in? Any idea what your soil is like? Heavy clay, sandy, wet, moist, dry, alkaline or acidic, that sort of thing.

Richard.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 1:32

Maybe what you want is something like Prunus tomentosa or P. x cistena.

o

house 1st timer,

I'm afraid I can't. Shrubs really aren't my forte and I'm not familiar with what shrubs will do well in zone 5. If you can't get an answer here, ask in the shrubs forum.

o

Richard,

I'm looking for a flowering shrubs, not hedge or evergreens as I have a bunch in my yard already. I want something that will fast to cover area of 6-7 T and 8-9 W to block views from neighbors. The place I want to plant it is about 30 ft from my house. Soil is mostly clay.

iforgotitsonevermind,

no prob. Thanks.

bboy,

Thanks, I will look it up.

I think I will return this yoshino even though I would really like to grow it. I think I would exchange it for rose of sharon shrub.

o

Is it sunny or shady or somewhere in between?

Usually when someone wants to block views from their neighbor, they want the view blocked year-round and not just 6 or so months of the year. Are you sure you don't want an evergreen? Just because it's evergreen doesn't mean it has to be a cone shaped pointy piney looking thing.

o

6-7 T and 8-9 W

what about lilac? forsythia ... mock orange ... all the big old shrubs ... honeysuckle ...

why are you thinking tree???

a pic would sure help us 'see' the situation

but whatever you get... nothing is going to get to 6 or 7 feet very fast .. unless you buy it that big.. just about everything is going to take a couple years to get going ...

ken

o

I returned the cherry tree and planted a shrub at the area.

Thanks everyone for your great feedback!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here