Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
benjamincburns

Dying Avacado Trees

benjamincburns
11 years ago

I just rented a house in Satellite Beach, and now 5 months into the lease the two large Florida avacado trees on the side of my house are dying.

The first one went over the course of about a month in a way that *looks* consistent with laurel wilt disease. I'm hoping that's not the case. The smaller of the two trees is now on its way out, and I'm looking for a way to prevent it.

I have posted an album of the trees on Flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/79572935@N03/sets/72157629919077641/

It has been fairly dry lately (it's that time of year), but my yard has a sprinkler system which runs twice a week at night. No excavation has been done around the trees that I'm aware of (you can see from the photos that my neighbor's yard looks healthy and undisturbed).

You can see from the photos that the first tree has some shoots of new growth around the main trunk. There are also some strange rings in the bark around the mid/upper trunk region - as if someone left a chain or wire wrapped around the tree for a couple of years (land lord says that hasn't happened). You can also see from one of the photos that the tree which is still alive had a lot of new growth last year, so up until recently it has been very healthy.

Prior to me, the land lord lived in this house for seven years. He and his wife have had no problems with the trees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr album of trees

Comments (2)