Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Columnar Aspen

Posted by joyceseitz Western Canada (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 14:21

We have eight columnar aspens in our back yard. We are trying for a maintenance free yard, so removed all grass and poured a pad of stamped concrete below our wooden layered decks. We put down the black material(not sure of name) to stop weeds from coming thru, then placed wood/bark chips under the row of trees. In the fall and spring, the leaves are a nightmare to pick up in the wood chips under the trees. Any ideas as to something else we could put under the trees to look appealing as well as easy to collect the leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Columnar Aspen

i suppose you clean your house also?? ... lol ..

any particular reason you need to pick up the leaves..

no one picks them up in the forest ...

why dont you remove that black useless counterproductive carp ... and go natural... leaving the leaves where they are.. to compost and make a natural environment .... and i would let them just cover the mulch .... and in fact.. in a few years.. you will never be throwing around any mulch.. as you will be making your own ....

take a day trip to the forest ... and see what it can be like ...

i learned this wisdom.. when i moved to 5 acres.. and realized i HAD TO go native... as it was impossible to be retentive.. like i used to be ...

if your goal it maintenance free .. then GO FOR IT ... and dont make jobs.. that defeat your goal ...

it would be a whole new look.. and approach.. and it would take a year or 3 to 'evolve' ... but you might be pleasantly surprised ..

ken

ps: most weed seed is airborne.. about two minutes after you put down the black stuff... seeds were on top of it ... its all marketing hocus pocus ....

Here is a link that might be useful: no one rakes here

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here