Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coast Redwood on the East Coast?

Posted by Sarahtree 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 11 at 14:40

I am a California native living in Virginia and last time I was there I brought back a few cones from Big Basin National Forest. I attempted to germinate 20 of the seeds and out of those only 1 made it. It is now 1/2" tall in a pot with indirect sunlight on my front porch. I have a good idea of what to do to keep it alive but I was just wondering if anyone has successfully grown a Coast Redwood on the East Coast and if you have any suggetions.

Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coast Redwood on the East Coast?

It may last a few years there, chances getting better as man-made climate change progresses. Danger would be heavy snow load when young.

Dan

o

Try metasequoia. They do quite well there. Most of the bigger ones in the country are split between New Jersey and Oregon if I recall

Here is a link that might be useful: Mobot Dawn Redwood page

o

There are a couple in Washington D.C. growing in peoples yards. The hardiest variety is "Swarthsmore Hardy", and it what developed in PA. I think they are sold at forestfarm. Giant Sequoia does better in the east because they can handle drier soil conditions here, there are also a bunch in D.C. and a large one in PA. However the best redwood for the east is the Dawn Redwood, very hardy and was once native to the east coast. Can grow 200+ feet and does so at relatively fast rate. www.coldstreamfarm.com has good sized sequoias and dawn redwoods for cheap prices check them out. Thats where i got mine.

o

The OP got some seeds from a State Park visit and one germinated & she has a seedling. She isn't looking to consume a product.

It may live. The provenance is all wrong, but trying won't hurt anything.

Dan

o

Greenthumbzdude, actually Giant Sequoia does better because it has superior tolerance of cold.

To Sarahtree, you definitely may get it to survive, as mentioned there are decent sized trees in DC metro and even apparently out on Long Island, NY, so its not unreasonable.

I don't want to jinx it since I'll know for sure in a couple days, but I believe I've managed to get a Coast Redwood to survive in central NJ for 2 winters now (its in my parents yard, I live in NV and will be visiting next week).

o

Famartin... Did you have to cover it with anything during the harshest cold or did you leave it exposed? Also did you keep it indoors for a certain number of years? Thanks.

I do know it is possible to keep a Coast Sequoia alive in Virginia. If you are interested in seeing some click my link to go to the remarkable trees of Virginia site and type Coast Redwood. It will bring up a few impressive examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: Remarkable Trees of Virginia

o

Sarah, you have taken a seed from a State Park in CA. The provenance is quite different than VA.

Give 'er a whirl and see what happens, but don't expend a ton of energy on it. Seeds from a CR grown in VA would have a better chance.

Dan

o

Sarahtree... no protection other than a healthy mulch of dead leaves. Here's what it looked like in mid February:

I have a thread on it...
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/conif/msg091645289283.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Redwood in NJ thread

o

I should mention that I didn't grow mine from seed... had it shipped to NJ from ForestFarm in Fall '09.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here