Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me identify this tree. Green wavy branch

Posted by midcitygardener Louisiana (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 08 at 14:55

Worked a major event in NOLA last weekend and gathered bouquets that were left behind. Took home one of many branches that were used as part of the floral arrangements. It's about 10' long, green and curvy with thin curly branches. Stuck it in water and now it's ten days later and it's got nice white roots shooting out in two locations at the base! My uncle said - "don't bother, it won't root" - decided to try it anyway. Haven't even used root stimulator, just a tupperware container and set it under my skylight. Now I really want to know what it is so I can care for it and transplant it to soil eventually. Searched the web with various search terms. Called the company that donated the flowers, but they say it doesn't sound familiar. This is my first post with gardenweb. Wish I could post a photo of it... (?) I will post it on Flickr soon, but if anyone has any thoughts based on this description, I'd appreciate it. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me identify this tree. Green wavy branch

If it rooted that fast it sounds like a willow of some sort. eg Salix contorta

o

Here are the links to the 2 photos of it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenniferbrady/2437247984/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jenniferbrady/2436428809/

o
Can I keep a curly willow in a pot indoors?

Thank you Flora-UK! That looks like it. Just researched it and it doesn't appear to grow well in my zone (9) and people say it's root system can get aggressive. I would like to keep it in a pot inside, if possible, since I'm living in a city without a lot of yard space. Do you know how long I should keep it in water before transferring it into soil and if it will be happy in a pot indoors?

o

if it roots that easily ... grow it in a pot.. when it starts to get too big.. root some more.. and then throw the monster away ....

it should already be in soil ... perhaps in a tent ... water roots are nto the same as soil roots... so plant it quickly ...

if the plant it too tall for a baggie ... make more cuttings... and start more.. to give to friends... until it is small enough to fit into a plastic bag for tenting ...

i doubt you will find a way to kill it.. short of no water ....

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here