Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Tree

Posted by iKandyXotics 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 15:02

Have 3 of these trees in my backyard , and was curious about what they are. It is a struggle keepingyoung shoots down every year. Thanks :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Tree

Brak of the tree

o

and one more

o

Persimmon

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 19:29

My thought as well: Diospyros virginiana.

o

I second the persimmon.

o

That is very interesting!! This was the first year I have noticed all three trees with the small buds? Wonder how they managed to get in my back yard. I am very happy thou , more fruits to enjoy !! Thanks again !

o

• Posted by jqpublic 7b/8a Wake County NC (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 1:16

Poop of some kind put the trees there

o

Here's a previous post, that's what you're gonna see in a few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Persimmon Post

o

My fiance swears it isn't a Persimmon Tree..Guess he will find out he isn't always right :) lol. Thanks for the link!! They are beautiful trees!

o

Have a few people telling me Crab Apple?? I agree with oyou guys thou , from the photos I have looked at , the Persimmon Tree looks very similar to the mystery trees in my back year :)

o

Mon, Apr 29, 13 at 13:20

Crabapples produce different, up- or outward facing flowers in bunches, like those of orchard apples. The bark pattern is also one you would not expect to see being made by a Malus.

o

Wanted to share this photo :) This is going to be a beautiful tree!! I also agree with you bboy :)

o

When they produce a lot of fruit, they are also very ornamental once the leaves fall and the hanging fruit is visible on the naked branches.

John

o

Undoubtedly persimmon.
The photos you've posted - with clusters of 2-3 blossoms per leaf axil - are characteristic of a 'male' tree, which will likely produce no fruit. Female flowers are born as solitary blossoms, not in clusters.
If one or more of the other 3 persimmons in your yard are 'female', then you'll likely get fruit production on them.

o

Ahh man :*( Then the three rees may be male then :*( Apparently my father-in-law has two in his backyard I havent cked them out yet but , he lives close. Would they be close enough for pollenation? The trees are proabably around 60 foot away?

o

Why would all the blooms fall off ? All three trees did this

o

Thu, May 23, 13 at 20:41

Both males and unfertilized females have no reason to retain the spent blooms.

o

Uggg :( thanks . Really sucks , I guess they will make great shade trees.

o

Could be all 3 trees are clones. These trees will grow a whole grove from shoots that come up from the roots.

This I learned: male flowers, as a rule on Persimmons, are closer together. I went out and checked my trees (not blooming yet, but the buds are there), and they follow this 'rule'. Thanks lucky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here