Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ikandyxotics

Mystery Tree

iKandyXotics
10 years ago

Have 3 of these trees in my backyard , and was curious about what they are. It is a struggle keepingyoung shoots down every year. Thanks :)

Comments (19)

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brak of the tree

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and one more

• salicaceae
    10 years ago

Persimmon

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

My thought as well: Diospyros virginiana.

• Tn_Tree_Man
    10 years ago

I second the persimmon.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That is very interesting!! This was the first year I have noticed all three trees with the small buds? Wonder how they managed to get in my back yard. I am very happy thou , more fruits to enjoy !! Thanks again !

• jqpublic
    10 years ago

Poop of some kind put the trees there

• sam_md
    10 years ago

Here's a previous post, that's what you're gonna see in a few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Persimmon Post

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My fiance swears it isn't a Persimmon Tree..Guess he will find out he isn't always right :) lol. Thanks for the link!! They are beautiful trees!

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Have a few people telling me Crab Apple?? I agree with oyou guys thou , from the photos I have looked at , the Persimmon Tree looks very similar to the mystery trees in my back year :)

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Crabapples produce different, up- or outward facing flowers in bunches, like those of orchard apples. The bark pattern is also one you would not expect to see being made by a Malus.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wanted to share this photo :) This is going to be a beautiful tree!! I also agree with you bboy :)

• j0nd03
    10 years ago

When they produce a lot of fruit, they are also very ornamental once the leaves fall and the hanging fruit is visible on the naked branches.

John

• lucky_p
    10 years ago

Undoubtedly persimmon.
    The photos you've posted - with clusters of 2-3 blossoms per leaf axil - are characteristic of a 'male' tree, which will likely produce no fruit. Female flowers are born as solitary blossoms, not in clusters.
    If one or more of the other 3 persimmons in your yard are 'female', then you'll likely get fruit production on them.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ahh man :*( Then the three rees may be male then :*( Apparently my father-in-law has two in his backyard I havent cked them out yet but , he lives close. Would they be close enough for pollenation? The trees are proabably around 60 foot away?

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why would all the blooms fall off ? All three trees did this

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

Both males and unfertilized females have no reason to retain the spent blooms.

• iKandyXotics
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Uggg :( thanks . Really sucks , I guess they will make great shade trees.

• Dzitmoidonc
    10 years ago

Could be all 3 trees are clones. These trees will grow a whole grove from shoots that come up from the roots.

This I learned: male flowers, as a rule on Persimmons, are closer together. I went out and checked my trees (not blooming yet, but the buds are there), and they follow this 'rule'. Thanks lucky.