Return to the Trees Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tree ID - Tree of Heaven lookalike - ?

Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 15:03

For the last year I have thought this was a Tree of Heaven - a professional arborist I consulted agreed - my sister has a grove of them and they looked the same to me ...

But I just looked a little closer and thinking we've misidentified it

1) It doesn't smell bad
2) New growth is green
3) Leaves are serrated

It is deciduous - just started leafing out - leaves turned yellow before they dropped.

I've searched through many posts/website and have narrowed it to possibly Sumac, Black Walnut, Butternut - ? My best guess is Black Walnut but wondering if the folks out there agree?

It is a young tree - was maybe 3 feet tall last year in May - now taller than the house - part of why we thought it was ToH....

Here is a picture of the whole tree, bark, leaf structure, and leaf closeup.

We are in Los Angeles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tree ID - Tree of Heaven lookalike - ?

not a tree of heaven or a walnut.....tree of heaven have a single notch in the leaf toards the stem and walnuts do not have serrated leaves. Sumac in a possibility but not sure about the species. A big hint will be the fact that the tree has compound leaves.

o

How about a young pecan (Carya illinoenses)? Regardless, I believe that I would remove it from the side of the house while it is still considered small.

o

• Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:07

Thanks for the thoughts you guys. Yes, Tree_Man I think you are right. I had been afraid to cut it down if it was tree of heaven for fear they would pop up everywhere. At least now it's not so difficult to remove. Too bad it's so close to the house....

o

• Posted by slowjane USDA 10 - Sunset 21 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:13

also - this shows the black walnut as having slightly toothed leaves - english walnut is smooth....

Here is a link that might be useful: black walnut vs. english walnut

o

First thought was walnut, though not sure they grow in Cali.

o

if you use stump killer ... properly applied to the cambian layer immediately after cutting flush to the ground ....things will not pop up everywhere ..

and you would avoid having to dig this out ...

and this would be a good place to do such.. as nothing should be planted that close to the house ... no matter the plant ... and you would avoid utilities.. if any ... dig safe

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here